1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aftermods resale value?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andii Syckz, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    So i have this epiphone thunderbird goth series bass that is currently under extensive moding...in my head.

Here are some mods i've been thinking of doing:

-Repaint the inner headstock red
    -Rewire it to kill switch, master volume, master tone (this is set in stone i want to rewire it since the bridge pickup volume is scratchy)
    -Shave the neck profile (it's really baseball bat chunky type compared to the epiphone IV or Pro)
    -Crescendo of studs on the side of the body (longest to shortest)

So, i want to know, out of all this, what would make the resale value go down? If not all that is.

2. throughthefire

throughthefire

Oct 1, 2010
    Utah
    In my opinion, any or all of it will make the value drop like a stone!

On the bright side, it's an Epiphone. The price can't drop much anyway!

Of course, my opinion has no bearing on your decision. It's your bass - do whatever you like to it. Enjoy the modding, and then enjoy the bass afterwards!

3. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Non-reversible mods like painting, shaving the neck down, and adding studs (?) will almost certainly harm the resale value. The only way it wouldn't is if you happened to find a buyer with exactly the same taste as you.

My advice - fix the volume pot (a little contact cleaner should do the trick), and leave your bass stock, unless you're 100% positive you're going to keep it. Even then make sure the mods are exactly what you want - if you sour on them in a few months, there's no turning back and no flipping it to recoup your cost.

4. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    They sell for $269 brand new and I've seen them used at GC for about $100 - $125. IMHO if you make any mods to it that are not "reversable" it would be deemed worthless to anyone that wasn't "IN LOVE" with the mods you've made.

If you are willing to spend the money to make the mods and have it done by a professional it will cost easily more than the cost of a new bass. So, if you want to mod your bass to that extent, you shouldn't be considering re-sale value you should be considering what it's worth to you.

Good luck.

5. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Just understand that the money is in using the instrument, not in re-selling the instrument. Unless there is something truly rare about it (not likely here) concerns over resale value should take a backseat to playability. And who knows about appearance? Whatever you do, just do a good job with it. That's your only prayer for getting anything for it after doing structural mods that cannot be reversed.