Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Afzelia as a body wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Silverstar, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Hi folks !

Somebody knows sth. about the tonal character of Afzelia ? I only know that is even much heavier than mahagony and therefore I think it is very fundamental in sound.
    Any input welcome

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Funny, Silver - I was just reading some stuff last night from one of the few bass makers to use it - Warwick. Bass luthier, Chris Stambaugh, uses it, too.

You're right...it, (a.k.a. "doussie"), is much heavier than medium-weight mahogany (which is a rather "neutral" sounding wood).. It is also much denser. It is known for a very punchy, hard, low end and clear highs that don't sustain for long.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I believe Warwick5s bass has afzelia wood for the body.. and he loves his SSII so he could tell you alot about it

4. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I've played/owned 5 different basses with an Afzelia body. It's a great wood! It have a good punchy sound with a good amount of lows. It's a "complete sounding" tonewood, IMDO.
    I do prefer harder woods, though.

5. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Your from Germany, and Warwick makes an excellent Afzelia bass, the Streamer Stage II Neck thru

6. s7on3d

s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    I'm wondering how much a new Streamer Stage Two costs there in germany? I have a friend going there soon and I want to know if I could afford to buy one...

7. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    I wouldn't buy a new one, it's a lot worse than any 80s one. However I think a new Stage II runs about €2500,00 or so... :eek: