Ag 2 GS 112s vs. Berg EX/HT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by the dude, Oct 11, 2004.

1. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Can someone summarize the differences (sonically) between these two setups?

Would 2 EXs be a more fair comparision?

I'm leaning to the Bergs based on the comments by tb member plus the are apparently considered "old school" - what I'm looking for.

I'd be pushing the cabs with either a SVT head, SVP Pre/??? Power or maybe an iAmp 800 or Thunderfunk (if I can find any relief in the prices as it is hard to find mint used.) So far I've not found anything I like as well as the sound of the SVT.

Guitar will be vintage Fender Precision.

Small to medium gigs - rarely have PA support (considering nv610 for the bigger rooms/outside if the mini-stack can't handle them.)
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you do a quick search of this forum you'll find tons of posts comparing these cabinets directly or indirectly. To be breif, the bergies will be punchier with a more present midrange and smoother sounding highs. The aguilars will have more lows with somewhat harsher highs but will be kind of mid shy.
  3. I have the HT/EX and they are my current favorite cabs. I have not tried the iAmps or Thunderfunks but would love too. I have however tried the GS cabs and they were cool, but way too pillowy for me. The mini Bergs are just killer together. Alone I think you could possible get louder with one GS but I rarely use just one single cab except at practice or little coffee house things. The Bergs are small light and cut the mix very well in most cases. I love the tone and so does my Band and the guests. I may have other gear to choose from but I will never ever sell my two mini Bergs unless Jim comes up with something better..... pretty hard to beat near perfection though.
    Also for me if I had to do it over I would have purchased a second HT over the EX because I like the option of having a tweet and I'm lazy so I could leave one at practice or a jammin buddy's place and still have my other single with the tweet. You can always turn one off. And Jim's tweeters are not cheapies they sound fabulous and are quiet.
    Many people here love the Bergs and lots like the GS cabs too. Good luck.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i thought the Aggie's sounded deeper and had a nicer handle on my Low B. the Berg pair i tried seemed to not be as adept with the B, and yet seemed to be much punchier and stouter in the mids.

i kinda preferred the Aggie's isolated sound, but i'm thinking the Berg's would be better for performance.

5. Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    joker put it pretty accurately...the Ags sound nice...more like what you expect a bass cab to sound like. And they have plenty of strong bottom end...but live my D and G string notes practically disappeared because they are so scooped.

The Bergs are the opposite. First time I played through them, they seemed to have such a lack of bottom...listen to them more...they are designed to reproduce the notes accurately, but not necessarily shake the floor. In a band situation, the Bergs cut like nothing else their size. And they can take a great deal of your bass knob before they start to hurt. Definately cabs I will keep around when portability is key.

Someone needs to design a cab that has the sweetness of the Bergs but has the big bottom end of the Ag...that for me is the ideal cab. I recently emailed Aguilar asking if they would build me a matching single 10 to go with a GS112. They don't do custom, but said they would throw the idea around the shop. Email them and get the buzz started if you think this would be a good companion for their 12.
  6. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I could not have said it any better than this!
  7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    For just a few more dollars than the cost of one Berg cab you can get a Schroeder 1212.
  8. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Having never heard either cab before, I'm curious: Would using a HT/EX112 and a GS112 solve that problem?
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

when i was crazy in my recent youth, i owned both the berg and aggie at one point. the sound was good, but in a way very unfocused. not tight and together at all. also, if you daisy chain them, the Berg seems louder with the upfront midrange.

but in general, i personally dont believe in mixing and matching cabs. its a phenomenon i've experienced with many other brands, too. some guys are fine with it, but to my ears, its like sonically mismatching socks.

the only 1x12 pair that's really satisfied me in terms of low end depth and massive punch was a regular Epifani NYC "non-ultralite" 1x12s. those suckers had the big fat bottom end, with a low mid punch you couldnt run away from. the UL's come close, but the NYC's are tops in my book.

then there's also Accugroove's new Tri1x12 that i've heard lots about, but am curious to try myself.
  10. That's what I thought.... two 12s would be closer.... not to my ears.
    I thought the 1210 Schroeder was closer to the two Bergs. The 1212 was deeper and I had to dial in mids to get closer to the Bergs. Maybe just me cause some guys are preferring the 1212 over the 1210 for URB and or older school sound. But to my ears using WWU set flat the 1210 was closer but not as loud as using two Berg 12s. The 1210 has slightly better all around cutting ability than the Bergs being everything set flat.
  11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    1210 or 1212, still much cheaper than 2 Bergs!
  12. for my tastes, the HT/EX stack wins. i only have 1 HT, but i will eventually add an EX.

the only time i've played a GS112, i used a mesa walkabout head and an older iAmp 350. they sounded exactly the same through the GS112. that shouldn't ever happen in my world. the GS112 very colored in way that didn't jive with my tonal tastes.

the first time i plugged into an HT-112, i was using an eden head and a sterling. i felt like i was at home. that is how i feel now with my peavey cirrus BXP and warwick quadruplet preamp.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Big String......Did you try one Bergie on top of the 1210? I'm just curious, I have a 1210 coming and I'm going to give it a try :bassist:
  14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    a buddy of mine who plays keys just bought an ag112 and stewart 1.2 (its nice to have friends that listen to my advice :D ) i also bought jokers old berg 112 a while ago(now sice sold). i prefer the ag 112 for my style. i brought my epi 210 to a/b with the ag and after playing my fodera and his nord electro through both cabs, we agreed that they had very similar voices. the ags high end was a little more agressive than the epi and the horn had to be turned down a bit more, but other that that they sounded quite similar.

the berg doesnt have the upper end extention as either the ag or epi as the bergs crossover is voiced lower, but thats what many berg players prefer. theres a lot more upper mid presence in the berg that cuts more, but i dont think its necessarily needed in a live bass sound. also, when i used to play jazz gigs with the berg, it would sound good when i was standing right next to it but when i would go to the opposite side of the stage or out in the audience, the sound would almost completely dissapear.

15. Hey jerry good to hear from you. No I never did. Jonathan "over by daar" in the Islands ask me the same. I would have to use the Crest rig because of the impedence mismatch if using the WWU. I should have and just may do that sometime. In fact I wanted to try the two Bergs and one 1210 together with the Crest and never got a chance to on an outside gig, and the touchy neighbors would call the "noise police" on me again if I tested everything outside. They just don't know wonderful tones when they hear them...