Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ag GS210 vs. EA VL210 (or ...) - which should I add?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vanselus, Feb 12, 2003.

1. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I know that sounds like an unfair match... but let me explain...

I currently run an Aguilar DB680 & DB728 (extremely clear, but fat) into two GS112 cabinets. I love the sound for MOST gigs, especially the smaller more "open" ones where I don't have to compete - like jazz, some low volumbe blues, church gigs, musicals, etc.

Now, I also play in a couple rock-ish bands, one plays 60's psychedelic stuff, the other improv punk. For these bands the 12's seem a little... indestinct. I've tried tons of different EQ which helps, but only to an extent.

I'm thinking two routes - the GS210 would add some 10 punch (but maybe not enough), and retain that smooth sweet Aguilar sound. The VL210 would add some bite, presence, and huge punch to the mix - but maybe too much?

Hence my dilemma. The VL210 used is about as much as a new GS210.

Thanks for all your help!

2. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I was using EA's and Aguilar in tandem, and all I can tell you is they sound great together. You might consider looking into a VL208 instead of a 210 if you're gonna bring both Aggie 112's to your gig.

They're a little less expensive used (I sold mine for $375 each and I've seen others in that range to $400), if you want to get more "clarity" and distinquishing tone added to your Ag mix. On the other hand, to me the VL210 used is a much better way to go than the AG 210 in addition to your 112's, even if it's priced the same. The reason is the difference in having the two midrange speakers. You already have enough tweeters with the two ag's, it's the midrange speakers combined with the nice 10's punch and oomph of the EA's, and maybe a little different sound of the EA tweeter if you want to turn off or down one or both GS112 tweeters, that could make a major difference in your sound.

I bought a GS112 to go with my 2 EA 208's to add a thicker bottom without a big price tag or a lot of extra shlepping but alone the GS112 does not have as much clean cut through as some of the other 112's I've played but that's what I had the EA's for.

I ended up selling all three cabinets and getting a used Epifani 310 for $550 + shipping and my band, my ears, me, and especially my back are much happier now.

I know we've had some philosophical differences in the past but I'd get the used EA for what you're doing rather than a new Ag 210, even if they're equal in price based on my experience owning a combination of both EA's and Ag112's.

Either way, you're gonna end up with a more killer, versatile rig for the same additional bucks.

Good luck

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Hey, thanks bro - that was really quite helpful - I really appreciate it! :)