Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ag OBP-1 in a Pedulla Rapture?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Larzito, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Anyone ever modified a Pedulla Rapture with the single pickup from the stock Bartolini preamp to an Aguilar OBP-1? If so, how did it transform the sound? Did you stick with the 9 volt or somehow modify the battery box setup for an 18 volt?

I love this bass, but it needs something to give it more fattness.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Haven't done that one exactly. But I did put an obp-3 in my Rapture p/j 5.

It definitely opened up the high end, gave me some clarity which I felt was missing with the Bart preamp. Also, the Aguilar has a fatter bass boost.

I stuck with single 9v battery, but used a Fishman voltage doubler to get 18v to the preamp.

3. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    What is a Fishman voltage doubler? Overall, were you happy with the mod to your bass? I'm not after high end as much as increased, more open low end.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Fishman voltage doubler is exactly what it sounds like, attach it to a 9v battery and get a higher output. It does it, AFAIK, by doing rapid charge/discharge/switch between two capacitors.

Yeah, you need 18v for the obp-1 but you can run the obp-3 at 9v.

Overall I'm very happy, I prefer a more open high end than I was getting with the bart preamp and the bass boost is much fatter now. I may downgrade to an obp-1 in the near future, for a cleaner look (4 single knob vs 3 single knob & 1 stacked).

5. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Where can I get a Fishman voltage doubler? How much do they cost?

I wouldn't consider the OBP-1 a downgrade...it has a different character than the OBP-3. I put a "1" in a Roscoe with Barts a few years back and it totally fattened up the low end and made the thing sound much more aggressive overall.

On the other hand, I've had two OBP-3's installed in basses must say that I like the character of the OBP-1 better. Replaced the stock EMG pre in a Q5. Paired one with some Lindy jazz single coils in a Yamaha. Improvement for the Modulus...the whole Yamaha thing was a disaster. It sounded thin and wimpy. The stock Yamaha electronics sounded better...odd yes, because I had heard so much good about Lindy pickups and knew the OBP-3 was a fat preamp.

There is some special groove sauce in the OBP-1...I wouldn't consider it a downgrade from the OBP-3...just a different voice.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Sorry, don't know the answer to either question. I got mine from a very helpful Nino Brown who had one spare.
    Yes, I agree. A poor choice of words on my part, I meant in referring from going 3band to 2band - not any comment on preamp quality.

7. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    So would you guys say that the Aguilar also has a tight low end when compared to the Bart?

8. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I'll have to ponder whether the Ag is "tighter" vs fatter. The Ag is thick, the Bart may be tighter since it is not as broad a sound...but seems to lack booty. The Ag 2 band is a very versitile preamp. On the Roscoe mod, it TOTALLY transformed that bass. Soloed bridge pickup really gained from the added thickness. Neck pickup could get really "puffy." I actually like the Bart 18 volt 3 band better in a Modulus than I like the Ag OBP-3 in the Modulus, and if I had it to do over again would have gotten the Modulus with Bart pickups and the Bart 18 volt preamp.

For my single pickup Pedulla, I'm thinking the Ag 2 band would be a better choice since the bass is very articulate but sounds a bit thin. It is mainly my practice bass, but I'm drawn to its easy playability and "singing" or "live" character (it has a chamber routed out for the electronics that may enable this trait). I want to maintain the same character but thicken it up a bit.

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, it's really hard to make blanket recommendations since it's the total combination (pickups/preamp/wood/strings/fingers etc) that make up the whole tonal picture.

I've had basses with bart pickups / preamps that sounded bad, and ones where they sounded great. The Barts can tame a bright bass nicely sometimes, to take the edge off. On a dark sounding bass, they can make the high end sound indistinct.

Usually with Bart preamps I find myself boosting the bass more - to the 50% boost or more. With the Aguilars, I've found a little goes a long way and I'm generally using 25% bass boost max.

10. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    On the Pedulla, I am boosting the bass all the way...it sounds OK but still thin...which just doesn't seem right. I fact, I played the same model, but it was a 5 string...well used...a couple of months before I bought mine...it was totally PHAT...in fact, the sales guy came in from the next room to see what I was playing because it was thick and satisfying...like a good bowl of chili. That experience is what led me to seek out a used 4 as a second bass. Maybe the other one had a mod...or maybe mine is ill.

Back to davidmwilson's comment, true, once I modded the Roscoe with the Ag, I NEVER had to turn the bass all the way up, 25-40% sounds about right. Not only does the Ag boost to +18db, it has more bass by design.

I may be talking myself into the OBP-3 unless I can score one of those Fishman voltage doubler thingys.

P.S. My Pedulla is from 1996. Was there a major Bart 2 band pre update since then that made it fatter/more output? I didn't see trim pot inside...I know a lot of Barts have this...the Roscoe's had it, but it just made the thin sound louder and fuzzy.

How do you test a pre to see if it is faulty? Pickup faulty? Geez, I hate to spend more on mods than the bass cost :crying: