1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AG TH 350 sounded better than AG TH 500. Could that be possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gokcekso, Apr 15, 2015.

1. gokcekso

gokcekso

Oct 15, 2011
    Hey everyone,

For the last several months, I've been thinking to purchase a tone hammer amp but I was very undecided whether to go with 350 or with 500. I had concerns about the power section of 350, and I was thinking whether it could be sufficient in each case. So today I went to music store and made a A/B comparison between them. I tried them with DB 112, with DB 115 and GS410. Well the result was kind of surprising. First, for me TH 350 sounded better. More crystal clear with more alive mids. But, I don' know whether this is physically possible. I don't know much about them but I presume that pre/power sections of both heads are same. May be it was just a misconception of my ears after long hours of rehearsal. Has anyone noticed something similar?

Second, the output of TH 350 is very satisfying. With 8 ohm DB 115 it was ok. With 4 ohm GS 410 it was quite loud. Even if you play in a very loud band, I believe with 2 4*10s, with 6*10 or with one 4*10 and one 1*15, TH 350 will be sufficient.

2. I'd say have a go at trying them together again. They should be identical except for the power. The only time I felt like my TH500 sounded dull was when I didn't realize I had the -10dB pad in

3. gokcekso

gokcekso

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks Dubista. I'll check it again today.

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Agree with Dubista. I'd go back and play them both again. Some slight feature differences but the tone should be the same.

5. Raf Seibert

Raf Seibert

Dec 16, 2013
    Texas
    In your planning, I wouldn't try to use any other cab with a 4 ohm cab, like the GS410. If that's loud enough for you, good. If not you need another solution.

Raf

6. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I owned the TH350 and then "upgraded" to the TH500. As far as sounding different, they are the exact same amp. Only difference is the power module. I would guess that the difference is coming from the settings or maybe you are pushing the 350 a little harder than you would with the 500 (is the gain up higher?), and the result is a little more harmonic action going on in the mids.

The output of the TH350 is AMAZING. For the size and weight, it might be one of the most impressive amps I've played. I would just say that with the 350, think about having a 4 ohm cab so you are getting that 350 watts. I've found with the 350 and an 8ohm cab, it can get to clipping pretty fast... although, the Aguilar clipping is OK, and they say clip away. Not quite the bad thing like clipping on most amps.

7. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts I like bass. And airplanes. Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I got to the power clip level a lot with my 500 and never with my 350. And they were both basically the same loudness to my ears. I'm pretty sure the tone was the same though...

8. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    they both seem to clip a lot easier with an 8ohm cab. I think the bass makes a big diff too... and the gain settings. I generally play with my master way up, and the gain at 9:00 for a clean tone... so I'm not really pushing the front end where it would clip.

9. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    When I "upgraded", I was surprised that I kind of thought the loudness was very close... With all my settings the same, I might have the master at 2:30 on the 350, and at 1:00 on the 500. I know the 500 could go louder if you needed it to, but if you are not a loud player, the 350 will get the job done,,, especially with the right cab.

Timmy-Watts likes this.
  10. gokcekso

gokcekso

Oct 15, 2011

I think this was the main issue, since I was comparing both amps' loudness to see the difference. To hear the equal output, TH 350's gain and master was set up higher (though only a bit). Today I went to shop again but I did not have much time to try TH 500 to make comparison.

Anyway, I purchased TH350 because I believed that its output would be enough for live situations whenever an efficient speaker duo (two 8 ohm cabs) is used.

11. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Cool. Enjoy the amp.

12. I've had the TH350 for a few weeks now and have been amazed at the volume it produces. Jammed with my band first using an 8 ohm 15, and that was fine. Then 2-15's, at 4 ohms, wow big difference! Last night I used a 4 ohm 610, I don't really need my 100 watt tube head anymore. :( (sniff)

13. gokcekso

gokcekso

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks @hennessybass.

Well I 'll write more comments about it when I test it in a concert. I hope I am not wrong at my prediction.

14. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    The output difference between the 350 and 500 must be less than 3dB and therefore difficult to hear. So apart from some little headroom and few other features, I do not see much advantage of having a 500 for the purposes of loudness. In that sense, I believe 350 is a good pick.

In a large venue, even with FOH support, 350 was not enough for me to feed the stage in few occasions, but that would be valid most probably for 500 as well.

Best,

Alper

15. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Interested to know what cab you were using. I had a similar experience... was only using an 8ohm 2x10. Never had a problem with my 4 ohm 2x12. 350 watts pushing the right cab can be big. It's all about matching your cabs and your heads for what you need.

That's one of the reasons that lead me to upgrade to the 500... a little more headroom when using an 8 ohm cab.

16. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    You're gonna love it!

17. gokcekso

gokcekso

Oct 15, 2011
    Well, first show last night, and the performance of TH 350 was much better than I thought.

As volume wise: Yesterday I tested TH 350 in a semi-acoustic show. My band played very smooth and there wasn't much noise. Of course, this is not an ideal situation to test the output of TH 350, but I should tell that master/gain set at 9 o clock with 4 ohm 210 Eden XST was louder than any other instrument on stage (including drums and guitar amp). This is why I had to play softer than usual.

As sound wise: Absolutely fantastic. Very open and makes your bass breathe. Not muddy. Natural. For me, it sounded more natural than Markbass and Eden heads. If one seeks for a matching cab, I could say that it matched very well with my Eden 210 XST.

In short: It's worth every penny of its price.

18. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Actually, I was using two Bergantino AE112's. The band is a Queen Tribute Band and somehow it got quite loud even on stage which, at a later stage, forced us to use IEMs...

Best,

Alper