1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AG500 Dual Channel competitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Plays Bass, May 12, 2010.

1. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    I'm just about to buy a new Aguilar AG500 Dual Channel amp and I'm wondering if there are other comparable amps that I should check out before pulling the trigger. (By comparable I mean in terms of tone, power, weight and price).

I was interested in the checking out the Thunderfunk TFB550 but I think it's out of production and was replaced by the TFB750, which is out of my league in terms of price.

In trying out amps I found that I preferred the AG500 to the Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0, MarkBass Little Mark III, TC Electronic RH450 and the Acoustic Image Clarus 1 (which I own now and will be looking to sell).

Is there anything else you'd recommend I try? Thanks!

2. If you are talking about weight, price, volume, performance in general, I find the AG500 a nice unit, but nothing particularly spectacular. Most of the other 'taditional' amps (Eden WT550, Ashdown500, etc.) and micro heads (Markbass, Genz, etc.) will put out equal volume. Of course, they all have their signature tone.

If you are specifically talking about dual channel amps with the ability to switch between a clean tone and an overdriven one (which is the primary purpose of the multiple channels of the dual channel AG500 IMO), that narrows things down a bit.

The two that come to mind are the Genz Benz Shuttle Max 6 and the TC Electronics RH450. The Shuttle Max 6 is lighter than the AG500, and has two channels... tube and FET, with an overdrive setting in the FET channel. Killer head... lot's of EQ control, and only about 8 pounds or so I think.

The TC RH450 gets to the two channel (actually 3 channel!) in a different way, having three presets that allow you to store every tone setting (including overdrive and compression) other than master volume.

Both of these heads will easily equal the AG500's output. The Genz will be a bit brighter in the upper mids and treble than the Ag, and the RH450 will be more punchy in the low mids. The AG500 is all about big low end, smooth mids and organic top end... not really punchy or bright... more 'fat and big down low'.

Hope that helps!

3. Mark Plays Bass

Mark Plays Bass

Dec 15, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    It does - thanks!

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    The Mesa BB750 has a switchable OD also, much like the AG500 which I also have had and enjoyed a good bit.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Before I bought my AG500 I was looking at the GK2001RB. Same price, two channels (clean and overdrive) difference in power and weight though.

6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

You've eliminated most of the models that I would have suggested but you might try an Epi UL502. It has the dual channels and IMO is a good mix between Thunderfunk 550B and a Eden WT550.
    Personally I'd patiently look for a used Thunderfunk 550B, unless the dual channel is a big deal.
    The Thunderfunk is such a plug and play amp though you really don't need the dual channels. A slight twist of the Timbre and/or enhance control gets you from A to B quickly.