Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AG500 vs. ABM 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwan, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Hi guys,

I'm bouncing around wondering what my new rig will be (some of you may have noticed the posts I've been making over the past week!)

Having read a bit about the Aguilar AG500 head here and in the BP review, I'm really interested to know what people think of them. My only real point of reference would be the Ashdown ABM 500.

How does the AG500 compare? Is it much louder than the ABM?

I'm considering an AG500 with 2 GS112 cabs as a compact but powerful rig for 4 string fingerstyle Rock/Metal.

2. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours

Let me begin by saying that I'm a bass player who happens to also be afflicted with a terrible disease--I'm a dreaded, retailer!!! :crying: But, I think I'm safe in answering this question as I don't yet sell Aguilar. I am, however, an Aguilar owner/user. I purchased the 500 combo with the 2x12's and this baby rocks. The tone is wonderful, it's incredibly well-built and it really delivers the goods.

You asked a two word question. IMHO, for "rock" it'll probably be quite satisfactory--mine is. For metal, I have no experience to be able to share a valid opinion. :)

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Either head is great...I prefer the Ashdown tone, but it's purely person preference.

I'd think twice about those two GS112's since they will give you a nice round low end, but they aren't known for cutting through the mix. If you can, see if you can try them with your band before you buy them.