Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ag500 vs iamp 800/500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dee rob, May 28, 2005.

1. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    I've searched, but I can't find a thread where anyone has directly compared these heads. I've played the ag500, and was impressed, but I haven't had a chance to try out either one of the iamps. I have heard a lot of good things about the iamps, so I'm curious about the sonic differences between these amps. For the record, I'll be using the head to power 2 berg 112's and I play funk, rock, blues , pop, and when the mood is right even some metal!! :ninja: Can anyone help me out?? I'm looking to pick up a new amp in about a week. Thanks.

dee

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hmmm.

Well, ignoring the output differences and the Aguilar's overdrive channel....

The iamp is much more transparent than the AG500. The iamp has a more flexible parametric eq section.The AG500 has a slight mid-range emphasis, not as thick as something like an Ampeg, but it's definitely there - I wouldn't call it 'hi fi'

Having said all that, personally I preferred the AG500 of the two. I got good sounds out of the iamp, but never a sound I *loved*. With the AG500, I could quickly dial in a tone I loved. I play mostly rock, so maybe that's why I prefered the Aguilar.

Have you also considered the Thunderfunk?

3. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    To be honest, I have not seriously considered the Thunderfunk. I must admit, my only exposure was basstasters, but I just wasn't feeling the Thunderfunk. That being said, the iamp 800 clip at basstasters was a lot closer to that ideal tone that I have in my head. I just haven't had a chance to play the iamp. I did like the tone of the ag500, but I was hoping to hear some opinions of both before I pull the trigger.

dee

4. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    bump...a litle help here. someone........anyone?!?!?!

dee

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    You have got to hear them yourself. That being said I have the iAmp800 and with one or two cxl112s I hear exactly what I'm playing. My bass sounds just like my bass, and then every tone thing I do that is music comes out accurately. I use the tone controls flat and add the low and sometimes second preset. It's also quite loud. Though that's all relative isn't it?

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dont mean to contradict my good neighbor to the NYC North,

but i dug the iAMP-800 more than the AG500. it was however by a very slim margin, only cause i cant imagine ever gigging without the EQ section of the iAMP. once you unlock it, all other amps will pale.

with THAT said, getting a nice sound of the AG500 is very easy. i couldnt quite get a crystal clear top end detail like my iAMP, but with a pbass, nailing a low down and dirty motown tone was as smooth as butter.

now with all that said, i love the iAMP sound with Berg cabs. my fav setup for a LONG time for my smaller gigs was an iAMP-350 w/ an HT112.

[​IMG]

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Call Glenn at Austin Bass Traders, I believe he carries both EA and Aggie

http://www.austinbasstraders.com/

8. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm big supporters of both brands. You can't go wrong with either one. Unless you like overdrive, i'd recommend saving yourself a little cash and just getting the single channel version of the AG500. However, contrary to what people believe, I think the Iamp800 is great for pop/rock; you just have to EQ it correctly. I can actually get a pretty convincing tube sound. I spent a long time not taking advantage of the EQ section on the Iamp until I read the manual in depth and just experimented for a while and I got tones I really liked. So that's my smaller amp setup that I use with two EA VL-110's. However, I have to admit that the AG500 has a great tone right out of the box. It is probably one of the best plug n' play solid state amps that I've ever heard. I might have gotten that instead of the EA if it had been out when I was choosin amps. However I have my Aguilar fix taken care of with the DB680 and two GS410's :D .

I would play them to see if you like the aggie tone or the EA tone. If you're dropping some cash, this is definitely something you should do. If you're buying used, you could take a chance.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just to throw a suggestion in there. When I was talking to Jim about his cabs he said an amp that he felt worked really well with his line was the Ashdown's, in particular the Evo 500/900 amps.
    They may be worth a look at and I actually think they'd suit your needs very well.

10. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    thanks for all the responses guys. i did talk to glenn at ABT and the a/b test will be next saturday!!! wooooohooooooo!!! :bassist:

dee

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No contradiction at all, just different strokes for different folks!

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Really? Jim Bergantino recommended Ashdown amps to you? :confused: That's more than a little surprising to me. Hmmmm. :eyebrow:

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This may have been before Ashdown began to have QC problems. Ashdowns and Bergs used to be sold a lot as a package. I actually used to own an ABM500 with two 112's and two 210's. Many who know me still tell me that it was the best sound that I had ever gotten. I'd buy an Ashdown again in a heartbeat if I felt comfortable knowing it wasn't going to break down shortly there after.

14. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have been gigging steadily with an Ashdown ABM500 EVO RC (Rackmount) and a Bergantino HT322 for a couple years without any trouble from the Ashdown whatsoever. My sound is stellar and leaves NOTHING to be desired. When I purchase my Rig, the fine people at Bass NW had also given an enthusiastic thumbs up for the pairing of Ashdown ABM500's with Bergantino cabinets. The tone, punch. volume, clarity and definition I get from my rig is exceptional. I'm using a small rig now. (Bergie HT112/EX112 mini stack. I am looking for a deal on a used Ashdown ABM500 EVO head. That's how much I like the performance and tone of the Ashdown and Bergies.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think you guys misunderstood my remark about Jim and Ashdown. It's not intended to be a putdown of Ashdown in any way. It's merely, as I stated, surprising to me that Jim recommended them. :eyebrow:

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    This was about 1 or 2 weeks ago :)

Can anyone explain to me why the NV425 has 3x10's and a 15" speaker, whilst the HT322 only has 2x10's and a single 12" speaker, the HT322 is a fair bit smaller, yet they weigh the same?

17. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm guessing weight of the magnets, and the thickness of the wood. Those two factors will definitely pump up the weight.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Make sure you tell him I said, "hey"

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sure, Jim B. can explain it! Give him a call! The only downside to calling Jim is that you may find that an hour and half has passed before you know it! :D

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Be sure to report back regarding your impressions!