AG500 vs SVP-CL pre/power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DougP, Apr 18, 2005.

1. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    has anyone done a direct comparison with the ag500 and the ampeg svp-cl preamp? i am looking to simplify my rig and would like to match an AG500 with my GS112 and GS210.

i have read the threads on the AG500 here and though i really like the SVP-CL i was hoping someone would be able to point out the sonic differences between these two units. of course, the power amp will play into the equation a slight amount, but lets just say that i have been using solid state power amps with the SVP-CL.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I have experience with the SVP-Pro (not CL) and the AG500. I like both very much, the SVP is less hifi, more grainy and thick. The AG500 is very fast, clear, warm, and solid. It sounds more detailed, but less "rock" than the Ampeg. I ran these with an aguilar GS410.

The Ampeg does a bit more to warm up a hard sounding bass, not sure if thats an issue for you. Overall, I like the ampeg better, but you sure can't beat the portability of the AG.

I'd personally go with an AG500-SC, since I didn't find the second channel very useful.
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    thanks for the reply. it looks as if i might be able to have both at the same time now.
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Ive played the AG500 and I own a db680 and svp-cl. To me the cl is deeper and bigger on the low end. The aguilar cuts a lot better on stage. This is one time I think it stands out that you need to try them both out and see what you like and dont like about both. Their both nice pieces of gear. The svp-cl gives the db680 a run for its money, imo.
  5. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    The deep thickness of the CL is the reason i love it. i may have to have a local store special order an AG500 since i have never played one.
  6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Or do like I did: order the AG from musician's friend, test it with the band a few times, and send it back if you don't like it.
  7. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    thing is: i can get it a lot cheaper through the store.

i do have a question about it though since i cant find the manual online anywhere.
    i have a GS112 and a GS210 both 8 ohm. is there any differenct betwen chaining them together for a 4 ohm load versus putting one on each of the SpeakOn connections?
  8. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Reviving a way old thread...

I'm a person who uses the AG500 second channel almost too much. I love this amp and I love dirty tones. But i'm not enthralled with my clean tones right now (with my main stage bass-Spector NSJH5). Do you guys think a SVP-CL running through the effects loop of an AG500 would sound cool? :bag:

I might be able to get one in a trade.
  9. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    When you chain the speakers together you'll get the same 4ohm load asif you put a cableon each speaker. But I like each speaker to have it's own cable, it's just "normal" and more organized IMO.

I did use to have an Aguilar GS410 (4ohm,sold it) and 2 GS112s (8ohms each, still own them) and I had my DB750 going one speaker output to the 410 and the other to one 112 and then I used a 1/4"speaker cable to path one GS112 to the other. This created a 2 ohm load and made an unbeleivably loud and agressive rig. I still remeber it...:crying:

10. is the effects loop switchable??
    i think you would get some amazing tones out of that setup not that a U5 and an AG500 wouldn't:)