Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AG500 vs WT550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phattire, Dec 2, 2004.

1. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    I have narrowed the search to these 2 amps I'm using 2 Bag Ends, s15 & s15xd... playing in med 2, loud bands r&b 2 rock
    what amp would you pick

2. Eden 550

I am sure the other is a fine piece, but I love the Eden's voicing so much. It is purrrfect. Eden is cheaper and probably more portable. I think the retail for the Aggie 112 combo is like 2 grand, so you figure that head retails for 1500-ish and sells for 1200. I don't know. But you should be able to p/u the Eden 550 for under a grand new.

Have you A/B'd them yet with your cab?

3. :) Can't comment on the AG500 mate. I recently moved from an SVT3Pro to a WT550 and couldn't be happier - it's a tighter
    sound with more punch and a massive bottom end.
    Still sound choice is so subjective your safest bet is to find a shop with both in stock and play them against each other
    with YOUR bass. The Eden gear is superb though I'm probably biased now :rolleyes:

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I couldn't be happier with my WT-550 / S15-D / S15-D rig. The Eden is a perfect match for the Bag voicing, IMO.

You should be able to find a WT-550 for under $900, unless there's been a price increase since I bought mine 18 months ago.

5. Yeah, this is really a no-brainer.

But I was trying to be diplomatic. I mean, it would be different if it was between that little Aggie tube amp or that hybrid, not factoring cost, of course.

6. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    Thanks, it looks like WT 550 it is :hyper:
    Now the shopping begins

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i actually tried the aggie against my wt-400
    the aggie was a bit louder and in the clean channel set flat they sound pretty similar.
    seeign as the 550 can do 2 ohms (which the aggie can't) and the eden is smaller i'd go with the 550. i actually have to sell my 400 due to some financial crap.
    btw, i used my eden with a bag end 115 and 112 and it sounds great - a good match like HD said

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a WT300 and aguilar gear... I A/B the new aggie with an SWR 550x and a glockenklang just last week... I LOVE aguilar gear... But I would probably recommend the eden also... The amp is great sounding but does not have the depth of the other aguilar stuff. The overdrive channel didn't impress me... The amps are a little "mid shy" in comparision to the Eden... Tough decision...

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I can recommend Bass NW!

10. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    Just Picked up the WT 550 :hyper:
    I did'nt now just how loud these little 15 could get
    I can't get the smile off my face
    The guys at the Bass Exchange hooked me up in LA
    Gotto go play now!!!!!!!!!

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  12. Are you running it a little dirty yet? (a little overdrive) If so, how do you like it?

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a wt-550 when they first came out, and I love this amp's warm tube preamp. the amp can kick butt too. If you're looking for a warm, deep but still punchy, articulate bottom, with nice mids and highs, this is the amp for you.

I've tried an Aggie 700 or 750 ( I forget the model #) and it sounded great except that it's heavy and expensive. The wt-550 is compact and light weight. I can't comment on the Aggie 500 cause I haven't tried one yet.

As always, it's best to try the amps out yourself if possible. Good luck and happy hunting on the quest for tone.

14. Ahhhh yes, Eden. I love Eden stuff. When I played a Jazz through a Eden WT400 and D-215XLT, I heard the sound of my dreams. How similar sounding is the WT550 to the WT400?

Good score man! Pics?

15. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    here it is :hyper:

Attached Files:

16. Kewl. I bet those Bag Ends are moving all kinds of air!

17. phattire

phattire

Oct 27, 2004
    Burbank CA
    Knocking the pictures of the walls!!!!!!!!!!! :smug: