Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AG500 with whappo jr, henry or NV610???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Sep 3, 2005.

What's best for an AG500?

Poll closed Nov 2, 2005.
  1. Accugroove Whappo Jr.

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. SWR henry the 8x8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bergantino NV610

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  4. Stick with the GS112s, you GAS-guzzling freak

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. other

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

My aguilar AG500 is everything i currently desire in an amp head: low maintenance, versatile, lightweight, and most of all, stellar sounding. My choice of cabs, 2 GS112s, are of another variety. The smooth, deep low end i get out these cabs is phenomenal, and for gigs where this sound is desired there is no other choice for me. But what about something with more punch, something that grabs you like a mighty fist and sonically slams you in the back? This is where my desire for another cab comes in.

What experience do you guys have with these cabs, specifically with the AG500 (or not, it doesn't matter), and which would you prefer for handling both a clean, semi hi-fi slap/fingerstyle sound and dirty, old school rock overdrive? The only experience I've had with these cabs was with the henry, and it was with a SWR basic 350, not the aggie.

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I like the SWR Henry 8x8...fast, punchy, and way more low end than you'd think...it's tuned to -6dB at 37Hz...but only rated for 480 watts...

I have no experience with the aggie500, but you really ought to try a Schroeder 21012...

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    those are three really different cabs. I am partial to the Accugroove stuff myself, but I hear great things about the Bergie NV series, especially the 610. Have you checked out any of these yet with your head?

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    btw, in terms of sheer versatility, the jr is tough to beat. It'll do crisp slap tone and major old school booty. As long as you're not afraid to use your eq, you can get pretty much any tone out of the jr.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm very interested in this poll as well. I run my AG500 thru an Aggie 212 and it's a phenominal combination. But, like you I am really starting to wonder about a different cab(this site doesn't help with my current GAS).
    The Berg NV 610 and 425 have really perked my curiosity. As well as the Aggie S series 810. If you do end up going a different route, make sure you let us know what you do and what you think.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I've been looking into new cabs as well... One interesting cab which I am considering in addition to those you listed is the Aggie 412. That said, I like the Bergie 610 the best out of those you listed.

7. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1 I think I am taking the plunge on Monday and ordering an Aguilar GS412!!

8. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I run my AG500 into either a pair of avatar b210's or an ampeg 8x10. I hear the berg sounds similar only better than the ampeg. YOu just can't beat the aggie head!

9. You want punch? Run it through a GS410. I can flatten just about anything with this combo.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The amp has worked better than expected with many speaker combos. I have used it with two GS112s a berg 310 and was really happy with the sound. After reading the thread, I rewired my silverado to hear the 4x8 and it really kicks. This amp really becomes the sound of the speaker probably more than any amp I've used. The cleaner the speaker, the more you hear your bass.

Dirtrider, the GS410 is killer!! I've tried it, but the berg 310 sounded better (I really like my GS410, but was pleasantly shocked)

11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    +1

12. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    If I were you, I would take a Bad cab! 2*15, 2*12, 4*10 and tweeters, for less than 60 kilos.
    TECH soundsystems rules!!!