Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AG500SC - Good For Modern/Classic Rock Mix?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All-

This question comes a bit late, but I cut a great deal with a fellow TBer on a Aguilar AG500SC that I could not refuse. The magazine reviews I've read all pretty much state that this is a great head for rock (I play a 50/50 mix of modern and classic). I'm not one to put 100% faith in magazine reviews as they tend to lean towards who pays the advertising bills, which Aggie does quite a bit if. So I'm asking for my fellow Tbers opinions. The good news is that if I don't like the head, I can't imagine I'd lose a nickle on it if I need to re-sell. My setup looks like this:

Basses:
    LeCompte ST-5 with Bart double coil soapbars and pre-amp
    Frankenbass (Vacarro body, AXS neck, etc) bass with DiMarzio P/J pups (LOVE these pickups!)

Amp and Cab:
    AG500SC head
    Also have a AMP BH-420 (reworked and upgraded by Dave Funk)
    Aguilar GS212 Cab (4 ohm) Love this cab!

Effects:
    Boss Overdrive, Chorus and Limiter Pedals.
    Fender PT-100 Pedal Tuner (the new model which is acutally good, not the old crappy PT-10)

Shame I didn't score the dual channel AG500 but for the money, I could not pass this up and I have an overdrive pedal and I only use it on rare occasion and have the overdrive levels set pretty low anyway. Those of you who use this head for rock, let me know what you think!!!

2. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I've been using mine since I got it earlier this year. 4 piece cover band, some PA support 2 GS112's and have had nothing but compiments. "Smooth" and "More Mellow" (Than my SWR head/cab)
    :cool:
    One thing I noticed was the power difference between this head and my 550x. It has plently of reserve, if that makes any sense.
    Plus, Dave B, Dave A. Geoff and the whole crew really care about their customers and product. Hope this helps.

B

3. Quadzilla

Buzz,

Thanks for the reply. A couple of quick questions:

1: When you say "cover band" are you refering to rock or top 40/pop (I realize top 40/pop also includes rock too). Just getting a feel for if your rig is used mainly for rock and if you feel it's a good rock rig since our rigs are almost identical.

2: You say you noticed a power difference between the AG and your old SWR. I assume you mean that you feel as though the AG has more juice and more headroom?

I too have had SWR's and didn't care for the tone. Just to bright and steril for my tastes (just my opinion, not meant to hurt anybody's feelings). I prefer the warmer heads and this seems to be that from what I have read. Thanks again!

4. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit

Quadzilla,
    Classic Pop/Rock is the format. Stray Cats to Stones, Back in the USSR to Blitzkrieg Bop, etc. I mentioned more "reserve" in the AG500 meaning more headroom and when you spanked that E you felt it. In fact the first time I did that I had to look back at the amp and see where the master was. (Only at 10 o'clock.)
    I hear a big difference in my SWR vs Aguilar rigs. Again, the repeated comments of those who've seen us was much smoother and warmer bass vs. my other rig. Although when I auditioned the GS112's I used my SWR Bass 350 and liked what I heard, that's why I bought 'em.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds like a great setup. The AG500 has a naturally strong midrange that I think will make the 212 sound really solid. I don't think you're missing anything on the other channel, the clean channel is what I liked about the AG500. That and being well built, light weight, and very loud.

It'll work great for any kind of rock this side of metal.

6. Quadzilla

Thanks guys. No, we don't do metal, but we do a few harder rock tunes (some Incubus, Bush, 3 Days Grace, etc) but stick mostly to classic rock (Skynard, Doobies, Neal Young, Alman Bros, etc) and more standard modern rock (U2, 3 Doors Down, Green Day, Foo Fighters, etc). I think that this head and cab will do the job (or at least I'm hoping). I will have PA support in most cases. I got rid of a Kustom Groove Bass / Avatar rig mostly to make my hauling easier. That rig was loud but a good bit heavier. I'm now all about wheeling in my rig with my basses on my back (double gig bag) all in one trip and also not suffering when getting home 2 - 3 a.m. while unloading! If I can do that AND have great tone, I'm a real happy camper!

7. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I run an Ag500 w/ my Berg minis. My gigs range from metal to Neo Soul/R&B and it fits the bill every time. It's a great rig that sounds twice as big as it looks. And the saturation channel rocks :bassist:

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Those GS212s sure do have a great output/weight ratio. Not a lot harder to haul than my old Eden 210XLT, but the definately have a lot more oomph.

And the AG500 is a one-hand carry, you can carry your bass in with the other.

And if you diiiid want to play some metal (or for the incubus stuff), just throw a sansamp BDDI in front of it. Done.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow, Quad parted ways with the Kustom posse!!! Now we'll see him rollin with the Aggie boys. I can't imagine the Aggie not working in any situation. Some amps just do it all well. I would include Aggie in that description.

-Mike

10. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Another Big Ya-Hoo. for the Aggie AG-500sc from Upstate NY.
    I just started using my AG-500sc with a Genz-Benz Neo 212X cab.

Played outside last week on a big open stage in Utica NY.
    It was awesome, Really made my Lakland Hollowbody sing YEA!

11. Quadzilla

Heh, hell has frozen over right SMASH and MJ! :smug: :D ;) Anyway, SMASH, too funny. You love hounding me for my A.M.P BH-420. Can't part with it yet, love that damn head. Love it more since Dave Funk went thru it, freshened it up, upgraded a few things, AWESOME!!! I hope that the Aggie lives up to the BH...

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Quadzilla,
    You have the same set up as me(except i've got the 2 channel version). You'll love it for rock... I guarantee it!!! It's a great combination. For all of the "mid-shy" comments you hear about Aguilar cabs, you'll wonder what the heck everyone's talking about running it with this head. There's a reason they sell a combo version of this cab and head... because it's a match made in heaven.
    Sure wish i'd have gotten the 8ohm version though so I could throw a 210 on top of it for total overkill.
    However, i'm very satisfied with it. Although lately, i've been dreaming of a Berg NV425 or NV610.... oh the possibilities.
    Make sure you let us know what you think.

Smash, same goes for you. I can't wait to hear your 'gig' review.

13. Quadzilla

I just got the AG500SC a couple of hours ago. I've been playing it since. Love the tone so far. It really does not seem that far off from my A.M.P. BH-420, maybe just a hair warmer but slightly less defined. Hard to say without the A.M.P. here to A/B it (I have the A.M.P. at the drummers house where we reherse). I like it. Seems to go pretty loud, tough to say if it's louder then the A.M.P. or not. I know that it's not nearly as loud as my Kustom was, but I think it should do. SMASH, any issues with volume at the gig? Can you go into anymore detail on how you think the AG performed? In any event, I have both the AG and the A.M.P. so one will become the main head while the other will be a backup. I can't complain as I have two great heads!

14. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Cool, you got it!!! I know you're loving the way it sounds through that GS212.... well, I love the way mine sounds anyway.

15. Quadzilla

It is what? :D Just curious what you were responding to... I know it is ALL THAT!!!

16. It is good for modern/classic rock mix. :)

And it is all that as well! :oops: