again about the v-4b

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, May 16, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    how much does one of this weigh?
    the one i am buying still has the original tubes
    the guy said that the shop where it is at told him that it works fine. can this be true?
    are 7027a the same as 6l6's?
    any info on this amp before i send the money?
    any sound bytes?
    any feedback?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    7027A have a higher output than 6L6 tubes. You can use 6L6's in place of them, but it would be wise to have the bias checked. The 7027's could very well last years before they need to be replaced. If and when you want to replace them, it would be better that you have them replaced with 6550's to get more power out of the amp. It is a relatively simple conversion that your tech can perform.

V4's are great sounding amps. They sound very similar the the big SVT's. You have got to take care of them. Tube amps are not as reliable as SS amplifiers. If you decide to buy it, you should have it checked out by a tech. You may need to have the Filter caps replaced(should be done every 10yrs.). If you like that SVT tone, I would say go for it. They are really nice souding amps.:)
  3. gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    It weighs 65 lbs. Kilos? Coudn't tell ya.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Not kilos. Probably between 65 and 70 lbs though.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    should i keep my hartke 2000 head
    as a back up?
  6. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    i would for sure. i think with any vintage tube amps, it would be a good idea. im planning on keeping my 2000 as a back up when i finally have the money to buy that V-4B from the guy i bought my cab from...