Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

again..double thumbing

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Jan 13, 2002.

1. ive done loads of dt posts but im still confused!
    right when i do it i change my slap style!
    slap style: slap downwards, i.e. fingers are parallel to the strings, ok?
    double thumbing: slap with fingers pointing towards the floor, and all i do is slap with the corner/palm of my thumb on the downstroke and corner of my nail on the upstroke? is that sounding good!

i believe it is correct? well..for me anyway

2. I started doing it on accident. I do it just like poping w/ my thumb instead of finger. I find its easyer to pop w/ my thumb on the E and A strings insted of poping... I really am not that great at popping, and yeah... I dont know if that makes any sense or even if i've helped you at all.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Don't think of that technique as "slap". Think of your thumb as a pick. Practice doing scales, string transitions. As you develop the dexterity, you can work on changing the attack.

4. JC Mags

JC Mags

Jan 2, 2002
    Zulu's right. I've been doing it during solos and it really helps if you play alot of extremely fast triplets and string crossing notes. I would advice doing a major scale starting with the downstroke of the thumb for the first note and the upstroke of the thumb for the second note.

When crossing strings after the upstroke, use your index finger to pluck the third note on the next string and repeat the down and upstroke for the next two notes. Try this exercise. This helps you gain control of your speed and the quality of the note you produce. :)

5. Since you've done loads of posts on this subject; what was the reason for creating a new thread on it? I'm sure that if you did a search for "Double Thumb Technique" you'd bring up at least a dozen threads already.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    In the video "The Day the Bass Players Took Over the World", Bill Dickens is doing this absolutely INSANE slap stuff. It looks like he is barely moving his hand, yet it sounds as fast as a machine gun!

Now, I know speed isn't everything, but I'd sure like to know how he does this. Can anybody help?

7. All you can do is start slow, and move your way up. If you cannot play a riff 100% perfect at 80bpm, you probably wont be able to do it at 200. Get a drum machine, or metranome, and work your way up.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Nonono I didn't mean that the speed was a problem, per se. Dickens seems to have a unique technique, sort of like Vic Wooten's double-thumb, but obviously different since it produces a completely different sound.

I was wondering if anyone here had copped his technique - it's too fast on the video to see what he's doing and I don't have slo-mo.

9. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    If you can get your hands on the video from Bass Day '98, Victor Wooten has a lesson in there on starting out with the double thump (and that video's a lot cheaper than any lesson video you'll find). This might help since you can watch him do it and study how he shapes his hands, but other than that he just says what's already been said; start slow so that your technique is comfortable (not choppy and stressed) when you speed it up, play scales using it to get used to doing it on the different strings, etc.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Neither Dickens nor Wooten have totally unique technique. There are plenty of guys who do the same thing.

IMO, the only thing insane about Dickens' slapping is his tone. Absolutely terrible. It's insanely unmusical, too, but I suppose that hasn't ever really been a consideration, has it? ;)

Regardless, I agree with Zulu. Thumb = pick.