1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Again: How to get good from Yorkie/Traynor XS400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zapp, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    folks

for any of you that have the Yorkville/Traynor XS400 head or amp...... I'm about >that< close to dumping....

First, is this a bug or is it just lousy engineering? I find the Compression circuit to be utterly useless on this unit. What it really is is a "clipping emulator" circuit :mad: . from halfway to full tilt, it rewards the user with a sharp "crack" sound whenever the input threshold is breached. Push a little harder and you get a weird distortion that sounds something like a bad Doubler. I gave up.

More importantly.... the tube overdrive is just ugly. Even applying a modest amount results in this huge nasty overkill on the bottom, just a big washout with no definition and no tone. I changed the original Sovtek to a "normal" gain JJT and it accomplished nothing good. The JJT is a little hotter, so you enter the ugly zone earlier... that's about it.

I still don't understand the value of the Scoop control. I can tell only a tiny bit of variance when I sweep it... maybe my cabs are too limited [i just bought a new GS112 to add to my GK 210, instead of the SWR 12, but it ain't delivered yet].
    And, I find not quite enough midrange control, which is shocking to say given the features on the amp. I just find myself fiddling with the mids trying to exterminate a trombone-ish nasally tone that I don't care for.

is there any help out there? I'm hoping the new cab will be friendlier to this amp than the others....

z

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    SANSAMP BDDI will bring that baby to life.

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I was a little fed up with my XS 400 for the same reasons, but I finally found a setting I like. I'm more of a simplistic guy, & I find things like parametric mids, scoops & all that stuff kind of a pain in the ass. I like BASS MID TREBLE, you know?

Anyway, my solution was to take my P-bass & I went with the "classic rock" preset in the owners manual, & backed off the tube drive & gain a bit to my tastes. I don't even mess with the compression on the head - I find most built in compressors to be worthless anyway.
    For my active G&L I simply disengage the tube drive.

I still have the stock Sovtek tube in there - I'd like to experiment with different tubes, but I haven't really seen the need yet.

Running through a old Fender 4x10 it's a nice fat tone. I'm also experimenting with my Fulltone Bassdrive. I used to only use it for distortion applications, but I'm messing around with using it as more of a SansAmp type application.
    I also have the matching Yorkie XC115 cabinet with a 15"/tweeter & that combination sounds great, it's just that our rehearsal room is on the small size & the 15" sort of "rolls" the room if you know what I mean. I saw in your profile that you're using some SWR Working Pro stuff? This is just my opinion/experience but I was never thrilled with that line of gear. Plus I've always found the GKs a little brittle - but that's just me man - I'm not busting on anybody's gear! That Aggie should be nice, but it may be a buncha watts to throw through there...

It's not the greatest head in the world, but it's a great deal for the $$$ & with the a little tweaking I think you'll find a tone you like. If you want me to snap a pic or, jot down my settings for you I'd be glad to.
    Good luck!

4. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    exactly
    Or an RBI, which is what I used when I had the xs400. I just wasn't that impressed with the pre.

5. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    ok, i'm getting the pic....
    the pre-amp stage is stinky.... that's what all this says.

hmmmmmm one more expense. the Aggi 112 will be in this week, then I'll try the lame boss EQ in front of the yorkie, if that doesn't help, then I shop for a sansamp. I had thought of this a number of times but I'm like " good grief.... how many things do I have to link in the string to get just a plain old good bass sound' ?????????