Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Again, not to start trouble

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Jun 7, 2004.

1. It's not my style. BUT... who here is bothered that there is a real lack of interest in the Luthier forum?

Was there ever a "review" section? There really should be? ya think?

I like a variety of forums as much as the next guy...but when it's the off topic section that gets the most hits and posts, it shows a decline in the effectiveness of a message board as a whole.

If you're serious about bass, you should want to know how the thing works. Not whether it's right to use a pick.

You should want to know WHY a truss rod works the way it does, and not ask other people what strings to put on YOUR bass.

And idea of how to actually solder your own pickups in your bass, or how to properly shield it is EXPONENTIALLY better than "what's a better bass for Rock and Roll, P or J"?

Maybe I'm having a bad day, but I just want more for Talk Bass. I am relatively new here, and like this place, but I see it getting more and more just like any other bulletin board...

this one being a chatroom with a bass problem.

I know I'll get the obligatory "you don't like it? Get out" responses, but ask yourself if that's really what you want, or if you want something better.

Just a thought people. Concur or flame me, it's fine, I just want this to be a contructive resourse.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Posts like this always annoy me. Why not worry about what interests you, and worry less about what interests other people....

Your idea of "better" probably isn't mine. Someone doesn't have to want to know how an engine works to enjoy driving a car--why should they have to know how pickups work to enjoy playing bass?

Sorry, but your post smacks of elitism. Not a flame, just an observation.

But, you know, thanks for trying to better all of us...

3. You know, my intent isn't better anyone. Do as you do, no elitist issue here.

Sorry to have annoyed you back.

Ron

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think the OT forum is getting more and more action because many of us have talked gear and bass to death. I am not really interested in basses at all - I have two Steinbergers that I love, and I don't want any more. Should I still post and read in the Basses forum all the time? I have 6 Mesa/Boogie amps - I don't need to comment in the incessant GK vs. Eden threads. I pop into those forums when it's called for, and usually to answer questions for people. Very rarely do I get anything out of it that I didn't know already or cared to know.

I did make alot of friends during my early days here at TB, and I don't want to stop talking to to them because I don't have much to say about bass or bass gear anymore. Yes, I love playing bass, but there's only so much you can say about the subject before it all starts repeating itself. So now I spend alot of time in OT and the Lobby, talking with people who share my interests. I don't see how that's wrong. Post where you like, and don't worry about me.

5. please don't take this the wrong way, but i think it would be wiser to start threads on topics that interest you rather than complain about the ones that don't. go ahead, we'll chat gear & soldering & truss rods with you. start it up.

6. That's fine. When the muse hits, I will. In the mean time, I'm just looking to learn through posts as well. I merely made an observation and took an unpopular slant on things.

Again, let's move on...
    Ron

7. As with any Internet Forum, it becomes a community. Basses, amps and other gear "reviews" are so subjective. My idea of the ideal tone may be "bright and sterile" to you, while you're idea of the perfect bass would be unplayable to me. It makes no sense to get involved in a lot of the conversations going on because there's no right way or one way to do things. Should I get the subharmonic intestine splatterer or the 20 hz brown sound generator? I don't know what you like- try them out and see what you like. I'll answer whatever technical questions I can based on my experience- but I only know what works for ME. And I learned through trial and error, I can tell people what I would have done otherwise...

As far as lack of interest in the Luthier forum- I don't wish to build a bass, or have a bass built for me (until I can afford it). :D

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

like 3 crotch grabs says, feel free to post about stuff that interests you, and we'll be sure to participate if it interests us :)

also, feel free to do a search on a topic that you are interested in, and if you find a thread, resurrect it.

as for the board turning into anything, it's been pretty much like it is now for about 3 and a half years now, as far as the nature of the communication and the popular threads and topics.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I apologize if I came off a bit harsh--I'm on three hours of sleep after getting home from the Crossroads Guitar Festival. :hyper:

The bottom line, instead of lamenting what you don't see, start the conversation. As John says, that's what's been going on for close to 4 years here seems to work, worts and all.

10. No worries my man, I appreciate your thoughts... :bassist:

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Anyone notice that when nobody agreed with him, he changed his opinion?

12. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    gosh mon rominee, you're really shaking the boat around here!

jeepers, you're quite the radical.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It was very popular when it first started - but most people asked their questions then, got their answers and have no need to ask again.

They are now off playing their instrument and are presumably happy with it or they would ask further questions - so I see this as a GOOD thing!! :)

Yes - I remember posting a review of the Fender RB5 - long ago!!

Why? Surely you would be too busy playing and concerned with making music, unless something goes wrong with your bass. So once again I see this as a good thing - all these people are out there making music and making audiences happy - great!!
    Well a truss rod is based on a very simple concept and most of us round here learnt that - many, many years ago - if that's all you have to think about, well... as to strings - they do have an impact on tone, there are always new ones coming on and off the market that you may not have tried yet - why not ask around your fellow players about what they've tried? :confused: Makes pefect sense to me!

Why would I want to solder anything - I am perfectly happy with my basses' pickups and shielding - that's why I bought them!! How can you say one question is somehow "better" than another? It's just the one you need answered at the time - value judgements don't come into it!!

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    posts like this upset me. we should be talking about bass here, not this.

15. I didn't change my tune, I changed my tone. What I wish for and what you do are entirely different. Hence my "do what you do" comment. You here only to be troublesome? I have no time for that. And Gia, have we met? You have an awful strong opinion of one who merely expressed a want for something more. Albeit a bit harsh... Pity. :rolleyes:

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You asked for it!! ;)

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You've been doing a fairly nice job at it.
    ;)

18. I believe you're confused again...but then again, I don't expect much.

;)

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

:confused: :confused:

20. We could do this all day. Riotous. :rollno: :rollno: