it a "lousy" wood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Anybody?Since there are no Woods section, I guess this is the best section to post this at. Im getting a Cort Action 4 bass soon and it has an Agathis body. Is agathis any good or is it crap like a plywood?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Ask the Luthiers" has had a lot of discussion about woods - these are the guys with the answers!
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Yep the ask a pro forum would be a good place to start espec as KSB-Ken Smith had requested more 'action' in there.

Before you go in there one thing to consider is that a 2 piece body will be different than a 'spread' which in turn will be different to plywood.

Always try to find out how many pieces of wood any bass is made of as less is more (hippy sandwiches excluded).
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Lousy? NO!
    It may not be the most popular, but that is in many ways due to looks. Agathis is not spectacular.
    Soundwise, it is very midstream, no distinctions. Whihc probably means fairly even freq resonance, with an emphasis on lower mids.
  5. FingerThePick

May 24, 2002
    Memphis TN
    I have an Action 4 and the bass plays and sounds well, not too pricy and is very reliable
  6. I have an action bass that I defretted, changed the pickups, and added brite flats. I am impressed by the quality of it, and thought it was a nice bass before I started experimenting on it.