Age Catching Up With Talent?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by willrwilli, Jan 29, 2006.

1. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I have been thinking about this for the past few years and decided to get some feedback from all of you in TB land. I am a 43 year old bass player with 23 years experience. Lately no matter how much I ignor it when I play for long periods of times my hands, arms, and forearms hurt. When I say hurt I don't mean unbearable pain, but I feel it. I was wondering what other guys do as far as warm ups, excercises, and vitamin supplements. I know there are thousands of other players in this age group, or younger, and just want some ideas.
  2. I'm almost 29, and have worked around cars for the last 11 years....not that old, but old enough to be pretty sore at times..

I noticed that when I take glucosamine for an extended period(more than two or three months), my joints don't hurt as much, or get pulled as easily...

I read about this test where they had two groups of group trained with it, and one without...

After two years, the guys that used glucosamine had more cartilage in between their bones than the other group......
  3. Tingly

Jul 16, 2005
    Yonkers, NY
    I found glucosamine helped my joints, too.

I didn't know it, but it is often made from ground up crab shells. I am allergic to crabs (it may be their iodine content), and, after awhile, I had a bad allergic reaction to the glucosamine, and I had to stop taking it.

Just be aware of that. It's relatively rare, but it can happen.
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Other than drinking alot of water and taking glucosamine sulfate there's not alot I can think of. I dealt with extreme hand pain until I started picking. Give that a try.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm older than you and haven't really had any long term problems like you mention although I have had occasional pains and aches..

My thoughts/ideas :

1. Dehydration is very bad and as I get older I find it harder and harder to cope with and causes lots of aches and pains but can be easily avoided with thought!

So - when I was in my 20 I could stay up all night, drink 10 pints of beer and stil be alright after several cups of coffee!!

But now I'm in my 40s I can't do that and feel good - I try to drink more water, avoid coffee and alcohol if I want to maintain concetration and technique and go to bed at a reasonable time ...

2. Technique issues

I played untutored in rock/punk groups for several decades - but when I started to play Jazz and more demanding lines, I got loads of tips from Jazz bass players/tutors on how my technique was sloppy and was likely to cause pain etc. I also had some good advice from a physiotherapist who worked in London and had clients who were pro bass guitar players who had had to stop playing as their poor technique had injured them.

I think it's worth anybody having a few lessons with a good standard teacher - Jazz pro - to check out technique and that it isn't hindering you or worse doing permanent damage!!

3. What bass are you playing?

I've tried literally hundreds of different types and some of those have made my wrist/forarm ache after only about 20 mins of playing, as the neck was too thick front to back or just felt awkward for me...:meh:

I've also tried lots of basses which had neck dive - now this might not seem like a big problem initially, but to get the bass at the right angle, you end up tending to support the neck with your left hand - very bad and will cause a lot of pain after a gig like this!!

Anyway - a few thoughts.....:)
  6. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002

I play a Ken Smith and a MTD both 6 strings. Although the Smith is harder to play than the MTD they are both somewhat comfortable. I will admit that I still love coffee and Pepsi Cola. This is probably not helping. I will try the suppliment and drink more water for starters.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - sounds like no problems with the basses themselves - but I do think that the wide necks of the Smith basses show up any limitations in technique - so unless you are playing with a good wrist position, thumb placement etc. - then you have got a long way to stretch to reach some notes....?

This should be no problem and personally I prefer the wide flat neck of the Smith - but I've seen untutored players doing things like reaching over the top of the neck with their thumb and doing this kind of thing will cause wrist pain etc. on a bass with a wide neck.

Anyway - the above may not be an issue for you - but keeping hydrated is always a good idea ! Helps concentration as well :)
  8. There would be some nights after a gig that were painful for me too and I realised just a few weeks ago, when I use my modulus genisis 5 is when I come home in pain. for a while I suspected this but, flat out refused to believe it,until two weeks ago... this bass is a "boat anchor",it's very heavy,has a wide neck for a 5 string and it's 35" scale. after trying out other 5's, I recently come to the conclusion that I must sell this bass(this is NOT a gas excuse,although a good one;) )'s killing me that I must part with this bass,the tone,the B-string and look are what sold me..I've owned this bass for about 5 years and thought it would be my last 5 point is,don't rule out the instrument just because you love it..