Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Age Differences In Dating

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jun 16, 2004.

1. This thread isn't about me. I am 17, and know a 17 year old girl who is talking to me. The problem is, she is going after a 23 year old guy. Is this outlandish of me to think that this is screwed up? Not only does the guy not have a car, job, etc, but he's been to jail more then once. She is a sweet girl, I really don't know what to tell her. She saw him before and got tossed out the window before. Is this weird, or normal, or what? I know that they like older guys, but she keeps denying it.

So I'm asking...is this ok, and what do you think is a good/bad age difference for people of this age? I can't be too far off the mark, can I?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'd call the cops.

3. it's because boys her age have the maturity of pocket lint.

not saying it's ok, just explaining.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    It doesnt sound like the age difference is the biggest issue here.

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Yes.

This is not good.

You don't look at someone for their money, but you gotta go with who will provide for you and your family. Age doesn't matter a bit, but maturity matters everything.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That guy is a freakin' moron! A 23 year old has NO business dating a 17 year old. Plain and simple. If she does this, this will be a "cringe moment" in her past. Also, I know guys that are 23+ years old that have turned young girls out, meaning they pimped them or got them to do some freaky things that they later regretted. Afterwards, noone wanted to be with them. Also, if he abuses her, and she keeps going back, then he's breaking her down, and prepping her for the pimpin'.

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    agreed

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    :bawl: You hurt my feelings. ;)

Anyway, it sounds a lot like this 23 year old has 1/8 of the maturity that I do. Tictacs has more than he does too, which is evident because he's concerned for his friend. About people that have been to jail once for something that isn't homicide or armed robbery or any sexual offense... no reason to judge them. Going to jail twice is different, shows the person is stupid and violent. He also threw her out of a window. This girl can't be too smart.

9. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    My wife is 5 years older than me. When I was in grade 6 she was graduating high-school. I find that a bit creepy.

Oh, and yeah, I get the feeling the age thing isn't the real problem here as well.

10. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    This is definitely less an issue of age and more so of a possible violent relationship. I would advise her to discontinue seeing him asap, this does not sound healthy.

On a side note, I dated a guy 10 years older than me when I was 18 and it certainly was not a "cringe moment". Age doesn't seem to matter as much as the individuals involved. The particular situation you described however does not seem to be a good match.

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    28 and 33 isn 't as big of a difference as 17 and 23. When you're old the value of a digit gets smaller.

12. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    That was kind of my point.

13. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oh, your comment about thinking it was creepy must have confused me.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

14. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    The point was that when I was 13 and she was 18 it was strange. Now I am 27 and she is 32 it isn't.

17 and 23 is less strange than 13 and 18 and 27 and 32 is not really strange at all.

I've just re-read the original post and it seems that he threw her out a window. That would be a good reason not to date him, IMHO.

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Unless of course the building was on fire and it was safer out than in...in which case he would be a hero.....

:eyebrow:

16. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    But what if the building was on fire and being besieged by Visigoths, Mr. Smarty Lawyer-man?

17. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I get the feeling that "tossed out the window" is a metaphor... I don't think she was really thrown out a window.

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You'd be surprised how often that happens. :ninja:

19. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Tossing metaphors out windows?

20. Marlat

Marlat