1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Age discrimination and legality

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DannyB, Oct 27, 2006.

1. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Alright, so when asking HR/discrimination type questions, why not turn to my fellow bassists?

So I'm in my 20's, over a group that ranges 32 years old to 65, so I already have to be careful when addressing the age issue...

But I want to understand this right - if someone OVER 45 interviews with me and I turn them down, they can cry age discrimination and get some money (or a job) out of us, right?

On the other hand, I was turned down for a recent promotion and the only tangible reason was my age (as put to me by my boss, who is very much a friend and father figure, up-front type of guy). My track record and performance exceeds that of the person (age 40) hired over me, which my boss even said (he was not the decision maker, just the bearer of the news).

What the hell? It's legal to discriminate against the young, but not the old? Just want to make sure I understand this properly...

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    You also can't have long hair. =/

I think the rationale behind it (as well as things like affirmative action) is that it helps a lot more people than it hurts, so if you get discriminated against for your age, but 4 other older people don't because of it, then it's worth it. It's still not perfect, though. :(