Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Age displpayed next to post

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Bob Clayton, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    this has prolly been done to death, but i think it is a good idea when responding to a thread, what age range you may be talking to....or when quoting someone....knowing how old they are may reflect how you respond

the majority of people fill in their birthday, so i think this would work...

bp13

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    *buzzer* EEEEHHHHTTT Bad Idea.

We have enough age discrimination here already without this handy little feature thank you very much.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There's no need - if it's a stooopid post, then the person is 15 - if it's not, then they are a mature adult - what else do you need to know??!!

:D

4. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I just ignore posts with a number in the username. Works just as well.

;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Yup that's another way of telling - but it's usually pretty obvious when the posters are "juvenile"!! ;)

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I do find myself checking profiles for people's ages very often - so I guess it'd be useful.

But like Bruce & Lump say, it's usually fairly obvious :)

7. Just ignore stupidity. :)

If you want to know how old someone is for a legitimate reason, just ask them via a PM.

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How bright does someone need to be to realise they can sign on as any age they want?

Much easier to skim through posts you don't want to read... once you've read enough of them to be sure. Anything else is unwarranted prejudice and you're likely to miss a few gems if you ignore someone's contributions just because of the age you think they are.

Wulf

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You're 15?

Wow;)

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

11. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Hrmf!

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've met kids that act mature, not all kids are like "lolz tAbZ R biEtcIn' sW33T". You'll be able to spot the immature kids from a mile away, but there are some immature adults out there too... *looks in JT's direction* ;)

13. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Roman numerals excepted, of course. Definitely old skool. :)

Hmmm.....

Blink-CLXXXII

Yeah. Much classier.

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    NikkiG, Freaky Fender, & PortraitofTracy spring to mind.

15. Bruce Lindfield

OK - to be serious about this - why should I treat a 23 year old, any differently from the way I might treat a 33 year-old person - or 43 or 53?

All we are talking about here really, is making allowances for kids - as in : "don't be mean to me because i'm a kid who knows nothing and I shouldn't be bashed or flamed, no matter how stupid my posts appear!!

It's just another whine!! :meh:

My view is you treat everybody the same way, based on what they post - as has been mentioned, anybody can lie about their age or anything they like - all we have to go on, is what is posted!

16. Bruce Lindfield

So for people in the UK ....I just always hear Harry Enfield's character "Kevin" talking, in whiney posts complaining about how bad life is:

"IT'S SO UNFAIR!!!" :D

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well then it seems my arguement isn't with you, because I totally agree with this statement and it's what I've been trying to say. But age discrimination seems to happen quite a bit. As hans moleman mentioned NikkiG, Freaky Fender, & PortraitofTracy are perfect examples of kids who know that they are doing. And that cloud9 kid. 19 years old... did you hear his solo he posted up? :eek:

So I find this age idea to be useless.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well then it seems my arguement isn't with you, because I totally agree with this statement and it's what I've been trying to say. But age discrimination seems to happen quite a bit. As hans moleman mentioned NikkiG, Freaky Fender, & PortraitofTracy are perfect examples of kids who know that they are doing. And that cloud9 kid. 19 years old... did you hear his solo he posted up? :eek:

So I find this age idea to be useless.

19. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    ... and what about those people who are so keen to make a point that they post the same thing twice? Aggravating, I tell you :rolleyes: :D

Wulf

20. dark_fang

dark_fang

Apr 26, 2003
    ...those ppl just don't know how to post properly.

Its not really a matter of age...its the contents and value of it that counts. :)