"age is just a number"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by smitcat, Oct 19, 2005.

1. smitcat

Aug 5, 2003
    Ithaca, NY
    I have yet to contribute an in depth thread on anything here at tb, but the experience i had at my last gig made me want to say something.
    As a background to the story, I started playing music about 4 years ago, while in college. I basically just messed around until a couple of guys got ahold of me through a musicfinder.com website of sorts. I was 19 or 20, and going through my nu-metal phase, and was hoping that it would be a couple of younger guys that wanted to rock.
    I went to their practice space, which was the drummers house, and dropped my gear off for a late practice. It turned out the drummer was in his 40's and guitarist, his 30's. I didn't know what to think, but decided to go with it anyways.
    At the time i had no musical training whatsoever, i didn't even know what a major scale looked like. I learned to play by ear, and by playing with them. In fact, up until a year ago, I always just played by tab and by ear.
    But as I decided to stick it out, our drummer did not, and left. We have had drummers to fill in for gigs, which has been an amazing experience in itself. Some drummers just keep the beat, while others try to make the songs their own. Which enters into my main part of the story...
    While we were practicing one day (guitar and bass) my guitarist mentioned that he had a couple drummers that may be interested for an upcoming gig, since our main fill in was already booked. He threw a few names at me including one, that of a high school aged kid. I had no problems with it, and we decided to ask him to come up and jam. He is a busy kid with a few other bands, High school, and a jazz band, so we picked a night which worked.
    I met the kid and his father as we started practice. And while the beginning started off with a lot of fills, and loud playing, he really found a groove. We had 2 more practices and then a gig last friday.
    The gig was one of the best I have ever played. I locked in so tight, and found a great groove. It was one of the first times that I have had that feeling of total musical comfort. And all of this with a kid who is 15. It blew my mind. I had no second thoughts even before i met the kid, since I was a late teen who could barely play, and he is probably more seasoned than I am.
    In the end, I found it amazing that no matter what the age of people, music is something that can unite anyone. It was truly an amazing experience.
    Sorry for the long read, and even if noone reads it, I felt like i had to get it out there
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Awesome story. It's always great to find someone you click with on any level. Plus, it's pretty cool to see kids that young rockin'!

I was at a GC in Fredericksburg, VA several months ago, and from where I was sitting playing bass, I could ver clearly hear someone bringing down the house on a drum kit. Whoever this was had chops, and versatility to boot. After I was finished, I decided to stroll over to see who was playing so well. Turns out it was a kid who could not have been older than 9. I was absolutely amazed. Just a side story. :)
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Age shouldn't be a problem...there are youngsters out there that can play well beyond their years; there are also those that may have only 3-4 years playing experience that would blow your mind, etc.
    FME, those are 'the gifted'(something beyond being talented). Just enjoy the ride & soak up all the knowledge while you can.

The more experienced player with patience is also a keeper.
  4. Great post! There is hope for us all
  5. If you think age is just a number wait until you start getting past 50 and 60 and it takes two weeks to recover from a minor bump when you walk into the corner of an amp! :p
    There is a Guitar Center in Fredericksburg? When I left there 35 years ago the closest music stores were in DC, Richmond and Charlottesville!

We played with a Jr. High school drummer who was superb years ago. What initially got our attention was that he could play Bo Diddley like he had cut the record. When he finally got his driver's license he got an old Lincoln with suicide doors so he could get all of his kit in, and travel in style as well. Hey, when he pulled up you would have thought that ZZ Top was doing the gig, except that he hadn't started to shave yet. :p