Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

age metal parts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Jun 2, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i heard you can put your bridge/turners/ect metal parts over some kind of acid and the acid vapors "age" the finish. what kind of acid is this???

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes, and I've done it. I recreated a 1964 Tele a few years back...I would tell you that it can be a dangerous thing if you're not careful. I've tried several different methods with different kinds of acid, and had good results.

I would suggest that the best method is ferric chloride solution, which is available at Radio Shack as "PCB Etchant Solution". This is less caustic than hydrochloric acid, which also goes under the name "Muriatic Acid", and can be found in most hardware stores (it is watered).

***on use*** Gloves, goggles, fully cover skin, wear a mask...with either choice. If you can operate outdoors, do so...if not, ventilate well...like more than you think you'll need. Make sure you have a 'base solution' nearby...otherwise you can suffer burns, and your hardware may get too much abuse. I mixed up tapwater with lots of dishwashing soap. Have it at the ready during the whole process.

With the ferric chloride acid, I found that using a 'wipe on' method worked best. I could control the coverage, and could wipe off easily too. It's not strong enough that it will get out of control easily.

With the Muriatic acid, I suspended the parts above a container full of acid, covered and let the fumes work. I didn't like this method as much...less control, and the fumes are um...pretty unbearable to work with. I also found it was slower, and simply, I felt jittery having an open vat of hydrochloric acid around.

You should visit some other message boards for more info. I would suggest a good starting place is the ReRanch site and message board.