Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Age of a Kustom III Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapnuts, Sep 27, 2005.

1. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    I have emailed Just about anything and anywhere I can think of emailing. I can't find the age of my Kustom head, let alone an owners manual. Does anyone know anywhere to go besides vintagekustom.com, musicparts.com, and kustom.com?

2. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Oh, well at least some info has been found. Thank you.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Kustom III was made from about 1978 to 1983. 130 watts RMS into 4 ohms.

If it's a plain "III" it should have reverb, distortion, etc. and would be a GUITAR head.

The bass models ended in "B", i.e. IIIB.

4. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    No, it says underneath a big K Kustom III Bass.
    As for the other stuff, it has 2 channels. On first channel, I am going left to right. 2 Plugs, vertically aranged, top high, bottom low; volume; middle; treble, which can be pulled out to make a bright sound. Next channel: same plug set; volume; bass; same thing with the treble knob (I know there is no middle); and Master Voicing, which affects everything; and then a power switch which goes up, middle, or down. Both up and down turn it on. That help at all?

Oh yeah, the big K looks like this, but it is White and Filled In.

k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k k k k k
    k k k k k Kustom III Bass

At least the label kind of looks like that.

5. slapnuts

slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    What the heck?!!? It did look like it, and when I type it on here, It looks like it should?!!? Is talkbass.com deciding that this post isn't worthy or something?!!?

6. IHeartAmpeg

IHeartAmpeg

Feb 10, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    4 strings are all I need
    I was just given one a few hours ago, so I got online to do some homework on it, and here I am. I just went to the VintageKustom.com site and looked up my serial.

I have 209578, placing it early in 1979 production. What's your serial #? Check the bottom of the list, "black tolex, black front/face" section, at http://www.vintagekustom.com/FUDfor...9b8183ce9c&srch=serial+number+chart#msg_11377

These amps are somewhat coveted just for the preamp and fantastic tone control. There is a fantastic range of tone variations. It's good enough for a small or midsize club gig. It's a great origin for a fat tone. Well, I take that back. Your fingertips are a great origin. This amp is a great secondary tone control.

All the best.

7. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I used to have one of those amps along with the matching 15" cab; it was made in the early 80s and I bought it in 2005. The previous owner had replaced the speaker with a Peavey Scorpion Plus, and it sounded good. That rig served me faithfully in the local bars for a few years until I decided it was too heavy. I sold the head, put the speaker in another box, and currently use the empty cabinet as a stand for my practice amp. My cat likes to hang out inside of it during band rehearsal.