Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Age of Englehardt

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Monkey, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've had my acoustic bass since 1984, and the salesman told me then that it was a Kay from the mid-50's. Later, a repairman told me it was an Englehardt, not a Kay, and I tend to believe him. Is there any way I can find out the age of my bass by the serial number?

2. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
  3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks a lot, guys!

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Well, I'm stumped... I went to the Kay site, and it said that all Kays had a sticker glued to the back; mine has none and the serial number is stamped on the wood. I emailed Cal at Englehardt, and he said my serial number is registered to a cello. Any other ideas of what it could be?

:( :confused:

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get some pix of the thing up and maybe the TB crowd can get you close.

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Many Kays also had the serial# written in red crayon.

Maybe it's not a Kay or Engelhardt??

After a few years, as far as I am concerned, the sound and condition of any instrument dictates its desirability and value, regardless of pedigree... unless you are a non-musician collector only interested in appearance and name-value to show like-minded friends.

If it sounds good, it's good!

8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Bob, I think you are right about the pedigree. I like the bass and I'm not considering selling it; I was just curious as to what I have. I've owned a truckload of electrics, and it is interesting how much more attached I am to my acoustic. Selling it would be like getting a divorce.
    I don't have a digital camera, but maybe I can borrow one and post some pics soon.

BTW, Bob, I received the bass bag and I love it. Thanks for the prompt and friendly service.

:)

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I never thought that I'd hear Englehardt or Kay, and pedigree in the same phrase. That the world is coming to...

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    plywood is very durable... I plan on being buried in mine !:D ;)

11. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    there are bassists out there that have kay/king/american standard serial numbers MEMORIZED. and I'm not talking one or two. these cats really take the history of plywoods to another level

12. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I finally got ahold of a digital camera. Anyone know what this is?

13. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Here are a couple more (I've never posted pictures before!)

:D

14. Hmm, well, It looks kind of like an american standard I used to play in a school orchestra, but so do a lot of other basses...

15. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Rimas, did the American Standard you played have a sticker inside? The only thing this bass has is a serial number stamped directly onto the wood, which you can faintly see in the second picture. I will try to find some more info on American Standard serial numbers; maybe that's what it is. Thanks!

16. Yeah, it had a sticker on the inside. If youre not sure what it is though, might as well dig through some of the major plywood manufacturers of the time. Some are easier to find than others.. I have an old Wm. Lewis and Son plywood probably from around the same time as yoru bass, and I cant find anything about them or thier basses.
    Good Luck

17. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks a lot for the advice, Rimas.