Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Age of Strings for Studio Recording

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Howard K, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Not sure if this should be in recordings or strinsg or what, but here goes...

I've got an afternoon/evening in the studio tomorrow to try and get down 4 bass tracks on my rock bands new demo. I havent played the songs for months, but that's another story!

Anyway, we're going for a more stoner sound, the guys think I should use new strings, but I bought some, put them on yesterday and took them straight off again cause they were too clean sounding.

What's your take on new or old strinsg to record? Is it the 'done thing' to use new strings for some techie studio reason, or is it known that many bassists use old strings to record?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hey there Howard. I'd go with the old ones. I don't like new strings, and it's not like you've got time to break them in. Also, the tuning slipping could be irritating. I think it's really a matter of preference over changing them before a session. I know Jamerson left the same strings on for years, and how many sessions did he play on :)

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well I like new strings, just not for this band - it just doesn't seem to fit.
    I always thought the best way to ge the right recorded sound is to record the right sound at source. Ie. get the right sound from your bass and DI, plus the right sound from the amp and mike it.
    ...but I have heard people say that bass should be recorded with new strings - the notes are clearer and cut through easier I guess.
    New strings are great for modern sounding rock, nu metal, punk, some funk...but not stoner rock, or james brown, or motown type stuff i guess.

I have high hopes for the demo actually. Our enginner/prducer/recorder is our guitarist - Chris Tsangarides - he's done 100s of albums for the likes of sabbath, thin lizzy, gary moore etc... and we just had the drum tracks recorded by the drummer from primal scream - i have the drum tracks here on mp3, they're incredibley tight and they groove like muthas :)

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow@your engineer/producer/guitarist & drummer from primal scream!

But if the new strings don't fit with this band, use the old strings I guess. Does your engineer/producer/guitarist want you to put new strings on?

I suppose, you can take off some of the brightness in the mix. And if you later decide you want it, you can't put it back in if you use the old strings...

tricky one

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    well, i did 5 hours practice/recording last night - over guide guityar and unmixed uneq'd drum tracks... all 4 tracks with old strings, then all four tracks with new strings.

I left the new strings on there as i used them last - they do sound good, but just a bit too tinny when i go into the higher registers - which i dont do very often in this particular band anyway.

blinmey i dunno - i'm gonna try newies and see what happens... i'm hoping to use a natual overdriven sound anyway - rattling speakers etc, so hopefully the clankyness of the newies will be hidden by the overdrive, but each pitch will be clearer?

AAH! nightmare!

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I don't know if the pitch will be clearer, I suppose it depends on how old the old strings are.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    hmm, must be 6 months or more at a guess.. i usually find notes are much clearer with new strings...probably just because of the brightness mind.

we'll i'm leaving work in a few hours, fingers crossed i guess!

8. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, well, 6 months isn't that old. My old bass has still got the set of strings that came with it, and that's five years old. I suppose if you take both sets of strings you can't go wrong?

Oh, and good luck on the session! :)

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Bloody 'ell!

Until very recently I used to practice once or twice (sometimes more) a week with a band (or three) in sweaty rehearsal rooms - mine tend to die pretty quickly on that basis alone i guess.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah. The five year old strings do sound crap, though, to be fair. But I'm planning on selling the bass, so I figure there's no point in changing 'em, better to let whoever buys it decide what strings they want.

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    What's your inbox like? - I could send you a very rough mp3 if you like :)

Seriously the drumming is superb... the bass and guitar are total wank, but the drums are great :D

12. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, sure go fer it!

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    hmm, i cant add attachments to an email sent via TB. Nevermind for now, I'll post when we have the finished article online anyway.

it's just the drums anyway really... it's a real luxury to have such a great drum track!

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah it is. That'll make it, if the rest of the band are good. It's so easy to get a bad drum track ;)

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You could try some new strings that aren't Super Bright, like some groundwounds or brite flats.

That way you'd get new string pitch w/out the high treble that bugs you.

Just a thought . . . Most stoners I know don't change their strings ever. I change mine at least once a month, I sweat a lot and I like ZING!

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Well yeah totally, but a) I'm not just into stoner and b) I want the bass to be slightly audible on the demo, rather than just mush beneath the guitar! ;)

what exactly are groundwounds? - I've never used them... it's irrelevant now anyway, since I'm recording in about 3 hours and I'll not get time to get to a guitar shop in time! Still wanna know tho....

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Groundwounds are roundwounds with edge ground off.

If a roundwound is /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

and a flatwound is _____________

a groundwound is / \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Nice clear diagrams. Good work Chris. A+

got it, cheers :D

19. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Actually, while we're talking about ground wounds... I've ordered a set of D'Addario Half Rounds for my fretless. I've never tried half/ground wounds before - how does the sound compare to a round wound? Does it still have that 'urb' (as someone called it in another thread) ?

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    So, Howard, how was the session?