1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ageing overly zingy Kolstein E string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Clarkybass, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Clarkybass

Clarkybass Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I have just put a new set of Kolstein Heritage strings on my old German flatback bass and while the A/D/G sound nice and plummy with lovely sustain, the E is somewhat zingy/metallic sounding. Clearly this will settle after a few months of playing but does anyone have any smart tips for accelerating the ageing process for strings (maybe some type of oil) so that the E string will sound more evenly matched? Thanks in advance!

2. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Don't worry about it. E strings by their nature, whatever make, model or gauge, go beyond settling in and into thumpy soon enough.

3. I run the string over the whole length over my thumb flesh bending it equally. This makes the string less stiff and enhances sustain. Made this with Innovation 140B (similar construction to Kolstein Heritage with braided synthetic core) and Innovation 140H (solid synthetic core). Needs about 1 to 2 hours to make it evenly over the whole length of the string. After doing this I liked the string much better. But I also needed to polish the surface with 000 steel wool to get rid of the sharp edges of the windings.
    Do this on you own risk!