Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Agent 00 Funk! help me dial it in

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Aug 16, 2005.

1. I just got this pedal, so far - so good... if you have one OR access to one... I was hoping to get some instructions on certain settings to help dial in.

If you help me steer this large purple boat, entitled Agent 00 Funk -- please advise.

thanks, henry

2. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Hi Henry,

I'm sorry i dont have one or access to one, but i do know that there are some suggested settings from the manufacturer at this address: http://www.chunk.com.au/a00f2.htm#sounds .

Im not sure whether you have the mark 1 or mark 2 version, but i think the settings should still be pretty close or at least can be used as a guide.

if you do have the newer version, perhaps you could give us a review of the unit as i dont think anyone has done one yet.

cheers

3. While I do have one (the first version), I'm not sure that its the kind of effect where you can post settings - all of the controls are extremely sensitive and a simple tweak on one can change things dramatically. This applies particularly to the Peak, Centre and Lag controls and how their settings combine.

And I guess that filtering is such a varied effect and personal preference really decide it all. So I'm sorry I can't help either! That said, I still think it's a brilliant unit! Have fun!!

4. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Ok I looked for a thread about this sucker but can't find what I'm looking for. SO! I just got this in trade and I did not realize it's made mostly for passive basses. Of course I only own active basses. Outside of buying a passive bass, does anyone know how to tweak the settings to make it work well with an active bass? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I have one. Using it with my Gecko 5 w Aggie OBP-3. For starters I recommend the centre at 8'0clock, the lag at 12'0clock, range at 1'0clock, bypass and effect at 12'0clock and peak between 2 > 5'0clock...I get a nice Bootsyish envelope with those settings. Bass is Swamp Ash, Maple/Maple. The controls are really reactive so little adjustments make differences you can hear. Enjoy

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I don't know who told you it was only for passive basses. but I've used it with plenty of passive and active basses, both low output and one with an 18V Aggie preamp and very hot pickups.

Here's a post I made in a similar thread that might help:

7. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    From Chunk System's website. At least that's how I read it, but what you're saying with the Sweep makes sense. I'll turn that sucker way down and try it out.

8. I tried one out and was amazed at all the sub it had. I should get one.

9. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Tried some of this out and still getting a real warbley sound that makes my amp sound like it's going to explode. I noticed that when I tried it in passive mode on my Stingray, it worked a bit differently.

This dude appears to be using a Stingray and isn't having any issues. What's the deal with that? Could it have something to do with my actual Stingray eq settings?

10. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Yonkers, NY
    It could be your boosting to many lows and it's really pushing the input of the Agent00 or it's just plain to loud. Try matching the output from your passive mode to the active mode output.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Can you show me where on Chunk's website? I'm not at all saying I don't believe you but I'm not seeing it.

Again I never had a problem with active basses though without hearing it I'm not sure what you mean by a "real warbley sound". The 00Funk DOES get very warbley with the Squelch knob turned up. Try dialing back and see if that helps.

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Warbles from an envelope filter are usually a combo of high resonance and a low decay time. So try turning smoothness up and/or squelch down and see where that gets you.

13. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f2_faq.htm

Q3

It doesn't really say that it's made specifically for a passive but because the settings on the site are for a passive, I guess I assumed it was. Probably just being presumptions on my part.

I'll keep toying around with it. I was just disappointed that none of the presets they show seem to work well.

14. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I thought the OP was talking about the original 00Funk not the MkII..sorry my settings are for the original.

15. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Opps! He might have been! Crap...did I post in the wrong place? :(

16. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i forgot the names, so here they are starting from all the way left and going right. these are the ranges of movement i found sounded best with bass

far left knob - between minimum and 10 o'clock
    next - between noon and 2 o'clock
    next - noon
    far right - between 3 o'clock and maximum

enjoy the funk

17. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I will try those settings Mark! I appreciate all you guys helping. This site is great. Now if I could not be an idiot and post in the right thread...lol. sigh.

18. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
  19. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    That worked! Thank you! It's an awesome pedal once it works!