Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Agents Of Misfortune @ Battle Of The Bands in 1974

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ghouldani, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I can't even tell whats happening.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I dig the groove, but that solo sounds pretty awful. But it's pretty cool trippy progesque stuff. I like it a lot more than metallica's first album. :p

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Upon watching the whole thing... that was much better than 90% of Metallica's career. Man... if this band evolved further, they could have been amazing. Why did he join Metallica where his musicianship was completely stifled. He was the voice of this band... literally... the interview after, he's all talk. The poor drummer barley gets to do anything and gets stuck holding the mic at the end.. poor dude.

4. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    Metallica was one of the 4 founding fathers of thrash. And you think the Agents were better? There are special places in hell for Metallica haters :spit:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I can't believe how often I have to do this... METALLICA WERE NOT ORIGINAL!! They "borrowed" from tons of bands. Everything Metallica has done has been done before, and done better by someone else.

6. I've been told the same for haters of Tool, Slayer, and Dave Matthews...... Is it possible for me to be in four areas of hell at one time?

The Agents were alright. Better than Metallica. But still not that good.

I think when they started they were like " Lets see how much we can rip off Venom, Pentagram, Thin Lizzy, Maiden, and Celtic Frost."

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "oOOh and lets try to sound not as good as any of those guys." :D

8. wow, all i can say is wow. even though i have no idea what the hell was going on in that video and whats making what sound, wow. i never understood why people liked cliff burton, i didnt even know metallica had a bass player for a long ass time til i saw them in concert when i was in 6th grade (with their new bassist jason). cause it all just blends in there and you cant even hear it, and then all of the sudden a group of people wearing those crappy baggy black hot topic pants come around worshiping cliff burton from metallica, when theres absolutely nothing that i could hear to be worshiped, period, especially in their old music when cliff was alive.

"I can't believe how often I have to do this... METALLICA WERE NOT ORIGINAL!! They "borrowed" from tons of bands. Everything Metallica has done has been done before, and done better by someone else."

couldn't agree more, metallica also used the blues scale to write most of their their music, even though kirk hammet put in minor and major scales in there for solos, he mostly used the pentatonic scale, i dont know if this dosnt make them "original", but i know it means they weren't completely "their own style/music" or however you'd put it into words. but i don't really think how someone's solos are formatted is an argument point either. so i dont know what i'm trying to say

9. Agents of Misfortune's guitarist: Jim Martin of FNM

He was teenage friends with Cliff....before Metallica and Faith No More...

visit www.rotgrub.com for more info..

10. I think what you are trying to say here is that all of Hammet's solos and lead parts were derived from the same scale formats and ended up sounding mostly the same. Lack of originality.

And you'll also hear tons of copied Celtic Frost and Venom solos.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Damn, I completely forgot about that connection!!!

Did the Agents ever cut an album?

Did the drummer get a job as a mic stand? :smug:

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

+1000000000000