Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Agghh action.....too high

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 24, 2003.

1. This is really hurting my playing style. No matter how hard I try to lower the action it buzzes like the devil. I have the neck very slightly bowed, and it looks fine, but I just don't know why it is always buzzing unless I have the action kinda high, and I am afraid that if I let the truss rod out more, the neck will be too bowed. Any help?

(I think I may know the answer though, still reply though)

2. How the hell do you know my CT name, CT board I hope

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Where is it buzzing?

If it's buzzing in the 5th-15th fret, you might have too much of a bow which is causing it to buzz when you lower the action.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i read your profile and it says a squire bass,is this correct? i play mainly fenders and my experience with lower end fenders like the squire in particular is they tend to buzz a little no matter what,they are not the best made basses,i'm not saying that there is not an actual problem with your bass because there very may well be,but if you are fine tuning it and can't get rid of the buzz there is a good chance it's not fixable,now i myself purchased a mim j/bass and when i got it it buzzed like a bee hive,i did all i could and it still was noticable,i brought it to my luthier and he did some tweaking and it'd fine now,i also have to bring it in every couple of months for a tweak,to keep it tight, and the reason why, its a low end bass, on the other hand my japanese p/j bass was set-up and frett leveled once,and once only,it's in the same climate and same bass stand as my mex,why does this one stay nice and tight? better quality,please dont be offended, i've owned squires before and got rid of them for the same reason,i also played early 80s japanese squires and they were fantastic! so if the bass you are describing in your thread is a squire do the best you can with it and be happy you own a fender:bassist:
    PS mabe a bass tech could do a little something with it
    DISCLAIMER:and this is my opinion and experience,it may not be the same as your's or others,it is not meant to offend or harm in any way,take this and all advice with a grain of salt
    adam

5. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Or it could just be that he needs his neck adjusted. :)

Sorry that his Squier is as great as your Japanese Fender.

And please, take this with a grain of salt. :)

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    lets not let this get out of hand, please believe me when i say i was not trying to compaire his bass to my japan fender, i love all fenders and just bought a korean fender squire p/bass ,i wanted to explain myself because of a recent issue with another member,i wanted to be understood that it was my opinion from my experience with my basses,nothing more,my disclaimer has nothing to do with you or this guys post,i said the same thing that you did that a pro may or may not get the buzzing out,
    NINO this is the second time you made a comment to me,if you feel the need to say something say it to me privetly,i now realize there is a little clique on this site and you guys go back and forth with the B.S. your remark is snid and directed at me and its BOGUS,i will no longer post on this site i'm not cool enuff. i wish that some people would spend as much time practicing the bass as they do tourching other members ,it mite help your playing.
    oh let me guess,your are great right?who-ever told you that was lying to you!
    GROW UP NINO!

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I really have NO IDEA what you're talking about. To me, the posts I read form you have been condisending &it seems that you talk down to people. I don't know what other problems you've had with other members & I mean this as polite as possible, I don't care. I have no problem with you or anyone posting on this site. If you niticed on a few other threads I've agreed with some ot the commests you made but when you make condisending remarks, it bothers me. :)

8. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hey man, take it easy. Nino just said that it might be that this guys neck need adjusting... From reading your posts all over the board, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Some guys here might or might not agree with you, but you are going to have to accept that. These guys have been around for a long time and know alot more than i'll probably ever know. You're not the only one that thinks he knows something.. And instead of taking it as a learning possibility when people correct you, you get all defensive, and start throwing insults around. YOU are the one that needs to grow up, and do it fast, otherwise you're outta here in notime. You'll probably give me some **** like you've given alot others - go ahead, make my day.

9. I have a Fender MIA Deluxe that I bought used, and it was pretty good, but I lowered the action. Now, it buzzes way too much, but I don't like it being any higher than it is right now. Also, it buzzes a lot, and I mean a LOT after the 12th fret. Is this because my strings are too low, or should I bring my bass to a luthier or something?

10. Sinister

Sinister

Apr 27, 2003
    WV
    hahaha I was just over here in talkbass casue matt told me to, to look for some jazz type stuff, but what do I do but see ol' Kaz in setup! hahaha. anyway yeah.. that was funny.

11. Kaz you speak so eloquently =) Theres a good tutorial on action setup here: http://www.garywillis.com yeah its for a fretless, but it still works for fretted, its easy to understand.

Funk