Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie 112 + Epi UL110?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buzz, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I've got a pair of Aggie 112's and although I love their smoothness and depth, I still miss the punch of my 10's. So I started contemplating the Mini Berg 112 stack (roughly $1,000) Then I thought for the same money an Epifani UL-310. Then I'm thinking to add a 210 to one of the GS112's and try that. Now I'm thinking why not try an Epi UL-110 with one GS112? I know Buckeye Tom B has raved about the Epi 112/110 stack but mixing an Aggie with the Epi? Would the GS112 seem slow-to-react with the UL110?

Small to medium sized club environment with 4 piece cover band with some PA support. Heads to use SWR 550x/AG500SC.
    Discuss. (Thanks)

Buzz

(Small after thought....This might be a funky stack. Is my head going to sit comfortably on top of this?)

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    heard it in the store, it sounds good.
    i used my gs-112 with a bag end 112 and although the be is not the same as an epi 10, it is a "faster" sounding speaker than the aggie with a lot more midrange punch.
    that combo sounded good, and no, the aggie doesnt sound "slow" or "behind" the BE (or the epi).
    I'm actually very into the idea of using different enclosures to capitalize on the relative strengths of both. It's really hard to have one cabinet do everything well, so companies make compromises and decide what the "signature" tone of each cab will be. The aggie is a low end monster and has a decent high end a-la the tweeter, but can be a bit mid shy. Adding a second cab that isn't quite as rubenesque in the lows but that has a present midrange can equal more than the sum of its parts.

3. Just another point of view.... while combining cabs from different manufacturers works sometimes... many times it doesn't. Different sensitivities and the tone, etc. of the cabs can sometimes combine in strange ways. If you are finding your current cab or cabs lack in some areas, I would recommend finding a cab that fits your sonic needs... don't try to fix a lack in one cab by adding another different one... it usually doesn't work. If you then need more volume, get a second one! :bassist:

4. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Well that's the thing. I really like what the GS 112 does but it just needs a little more ten in it. (Is this called a Schroeder?) :smug:

5. Not to be difficult... but you either like it or you don't. If you think it 'needs a little more ten in it', that's your description of something that lacks in that particular speaker IMO. My recommendation would be to try some other cabs... you might find another brand of 12 'having a little bit more 10 in it', or you might find that a cab with 10" speakers is your thing :)

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm adding an Aguilar S210 to my two GS112's. I'm running an Ampeg pre with a stereo power amp so I can push 3 cabs. I'll let you know how it turns out.

7. I've used the Epi 110UL with one GS112 in a live setting with PA support. The Epi definitely makes things more articulate. However, I'd still rather play through 2 GS112s. If you push the 112s there won't be any mids lacking, IMO. Also keep in mind that those cabinets throw the sound pretty far out front so standing next to your cabinet you may find the sound not as defined, while the front row is getting some nice, full, bass guitar sounds. The Epi 110, while a very cool and loud cab, won't push your full sound like one of those Aggies will, IMO.

8. +9. Stand far from your rig, at various angles off-axis, and listen.

9. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    They will be in full service this Saturday so I'll bring a long cord and have a listen. I did an outdoor show in July and used my Goliath 3 4x10 with one GS112 and my AG500SC head. The Aggie was on top of the SWR and this was an awesome combo, I was very pleased. With the exception of an outdoor gig, the small cabinets come out to play.

10. Try sliding a Gramma pad under the 112 stack, and if you aren't already, try stacking them instead of side by side (although I'm sure you're stacking them...) The gramma will eliminate some of that boominess and let the cabs sound a little tighter. I think they're like $50 at GC and well worth it.

I use just 2 GS112s for outdoor shows, but I've also usually got monitors. Still, they can get plenty loud, and stay surprisingly loud way out in front too.

11. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    Coldtrain,

I've been using the Gramma, it's worth the $$. I always stack them on top of each other. I haven't tried stacking them end on end if that's what you mean. I really need to get out in the room and actually hear them. (As opposed to relying on our lead guitar player who, on his wireless, ventures out and either nods his head yes or tells me to turn down some.) :scowl:

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Maybe so....so ditch that GS112, and grab yourself an Epi 112. :D

-Mike