Aggie 212 as a standalone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Hi guys, I'm soon going to be upgrading my rig and I'm eyeing up the aggie 212 cab and I would be using it as a standalone cab. Would it hold up for EVERYTHING, or would I be better off lookinf at a 1x15 and 4x10 or 2 1x12s? It's gonna get a good 575 watts from an ashdown too, so is there anything else I should consider?
  2. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I played a aggie 212 and wasnt impressed, I have a aggie 412 and like it a lot. YMMV.

Try one out if you can to see if it fits your needs. Good luck.
  3. Pardon my ignorance, but what does YMMV mean?
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    sorry, I just learned this myself. "your mileage may vary" :p
  5. Ah now I get you.

Anyone here have one or any others I should try out that are similar?
  6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I really like the old epifani 212, both are about the same price used.
  7. I tried the Aguilar 2x12 as a standalone and it didn't work. I was feeding it 700 watts. It just didn't cut enough. I threw a 2x10 on top of it, and that did the trick. Of course, as noted, YMMV.
  8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the trick to the aggie twelves cutting thru is to cut lows and boost mids on the amp. With enough power i think the aggie 2x12 should handle most gigs.
  9. I use it. It has a very pleasing tone, and moves a lot of air. It's also fairly portable. I have a maple fingerboard on my bass, so it's bright to start with. I just barely get enough bite through this rig. I imagine with a rosewood board or something, it might not have enough top end to be a standalone. It kind of depends on if the rest of the band is being retarded. If so, I have to crank my amp, and tweak my tone. Under normal situations, where the band is concerned about sounding good, it is awesome.
  10. jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I have two GS-212's. I have never used both at one time. When I use one, I power it up with a QSC PLX-3402. '1100W' into my 4 ohm cab. THAT kind of power/headroom makes the cab come alive. And it more than handles any gig I have ever used it with. I am selling one of my 212's BECUASE I don't use it!!! I have thrown an Avatar 210 on top of one of my 212's. It's cool, but I never felt I needed it. I know some out there seem to have a problem with using high freq. horns, but, use it with your GS-212. You'll get all the high and sparkle you want. They have a good crossover and driver on board. Final word: Give it lots of power.
  11. I use the Aggie 212 as standalone and i have never had any complaints.
  12. Oh yeah, I have the tweeter cranked. The first few weeks, I tried it on medium, and that didn't really work out. The 100% tweeter approach works out well if your technique is clean.

My amp is "only" 400 watts, the Thunderfunk 420. Overall volume is not a problem, ever. Anytime I've had a bad sound for the room/situation, turning louder hasn't really helped.
  13. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I’ve used the GS212 stand-alone for about 3 years now. I agree that it’s a little thick on the bottom, but is that a bad thing? If I need to cut through a little more I’ll cut the lows a little and boost the volume. I’d much rather be in that situation than need to boost the lows to compensate for a thin sound, as that often ends up sounding muddy. I don’t like a lot of treble so the tweeter’s never been as issue for me. I usually keep it set about half way up.

I think the GS212 is a good all-round cab – not quite as fat as a good 15, but certainly a lot more punch, not quite as much punch as a good 210, but a lot more bottom. It’s pretty easy to move, but if I were buying again, I’d probably get two GS112’s as they are less work to get up stairs by yourself, and I’m pretty sure one would be fine in some of the smaller rooms I play.

- John
  14. larryl

Feb 1, 2005
    North Jersey
    I've been using the GS212 with the DB750 for two years now with my Sadowsky, and I agree Its a little thick on the bottom but see no problem as a stand alone, although I must admit I'm considering adding a 210 on top to sharpen things up a bit. My band mates are very finicky though and have never complained.
  15. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I use an Aggie 212 as a standalone powered by a GK1001RB II. It works for me, and I play in a fairly loud rock band.
  16. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    The GS212 is a great cab. I used to own one but found that 2 GS112's are actually deeper and with 2 tweeters and 4 portholes I found it to sound better IMO. Go figure?
  17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If its enough output for your band, it'll sound fat, deep, and warm. The GS410 is louder and has more punch and high mids, bottom end is about the same but has a different shape. The GS212 is MUCH MUCH easier to carry. You can solo carry the 212, you need a buddy for the 410.
  18. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I heard one of these a few weeks ago in a medium sized club. The band was guitar/drums/bass/organ with everyone singing. The bassist had a Nathan East fiver with an Aggie 2x12. I wasn't impressed. I loved the tone itself, but it seemed really muddy. Picking out the bass notes was tougher than it should have been in this particular room with that particular bass. Too bad, because the guy was a great player.

Like IvanMike says, some EQing probably goes a long way with these cabs but I'd have to hear it to be a believer. As it is I was sold on not getting one after hearing it. But I've always been a big fan of the punch that 10s give. It may not fulfill you in your bedroom but out in the crowd is what counts to me.

If you've got the coin, I'd suggest a 1x12 and a 2x10 or maybe a Bergantino HT322.
  19. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    I think it was the guys EQ. I can get reasonable punch with a little mid boost and bass cut. I definitely wouldn't call this cab muddy! It doesn't have the punch of good 10's, but it's much tighter than any 15's I've heard.

- John
  20. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    I have an Aggie GS 112. When used alone, I boost the mids at 800Hz to cut thru.

I threw a Avatar B210 Neo on top and now I cut a lot better. A smidge of boost in the 200 to 400 Hz range and a smidge of bass boost and I am in there.