Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aggie 212 vs ernie 212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by K Dubbs, May 17, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    I'm lookin to buy a 212. Both the aguilar 212 and the ernie 212 are roughly the same price. I wanna use one of the two in a biamp situation for some fat lows. Given this, I'm guessing having a horn won't do me much benefit in the aggie or havin that little driver won't do me much good in the ernie. Anybody have experience a b ing these two cabs? Which one seems to be richer in the low end? Thanks for the help, guys'n gals

2. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    oh yeah, anybody hear that new swr 212 yet?

3. Hey listen Pal,
    Those EB-MM HD212's are a fantastic cab. I bought two of them from GC for only $299 each. The 6"mid driver was a BIG factor for me in making my purchase. I hate those little horns, rolling them off on every cab I've owned. The 6" on my EB gives me a throaty mid style that just growls. I sold my Eden D212XLT's and purchased the EB's. The Edens are apparently very close to the Aggie's in tone so based on that, I'd say the EB's are the way to go. I have to say I found the Edens a little "muddled" for me, I did use them happily for about 4 years so I am sure it is subjective. The EB's also weigh about #20 more so keep that in mind. The B&C drivers in the MM's are actually 200w apeice so the cab has twice the headroom of many 2x12's. I couldn't be happier. Folks do love their Aguilar stuff tho'.

[​IMG]

4. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    hey mad sub, i don't think its possible to get those wonderful cabs at 300 apiece anymore. If i could, trust me i'd be all over getting two of em. One just isn't enough, that's why i'm biamping an avatar 210 ontop of it. I'd love to have your rig though anyday. Was that 300 deal just at your guitarcenter or was it an everywhere thing? Diggity

5. I need a fat stage sound for my dub stuff (why I have two) but these cabs being rated at 800w would probably make them a great stand-alone. The MM's are 8 ohms which was crucial for me, not many 2x12's are. By using the 6" to cover the mid-highs the 12" drivers should be able to focus on the lows more efficiently. I think it'd be a great lowend cab.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i was just at bass boutique picking up strings, and the Elrick NYC edition thru their Aggie DB359 w/ 2x12 was pretty killer. i liked it alot. very detailed and deep. pricey tho.

7. I am toying with buying the DB359. Do you think it has enough headroom, or is it more suited to quiet performances or gritty rock stuff? I'd love to be able to drive my entire EB-MM stack with it. I like a bit o' grit but need some clean, deep bottom too.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dont worry, the bottom on the DB359 is crystal clear has a nice spongy feel. makes you wanna groove allnight. its plenty loud to me. just remember that 200 watts of tube is about 350 watts of SS. so it may not be the "over the top SVT rockouts" you're looking for. plan accordingly.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Go for the DB750. It's a little bit more, but worth every penny. I have more headroom than I will ever possibly need. You'll be very happy.

With the SF-2, MuTron and DB750, I can get some serious dub tones --especially with my flatwound strung basses.

10. The idea here was to get smaller, not bigger. No way am I owning another 4 space anchor; two spaces or not at all. My 400+ was the finest amp ever but lugging it around was just too much. I am going for a SF-2 however....what was this thread about again?

11. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    MadMan... The 359 is only two spaces but still heavy. I love it and deal with the weight issue without a problem. The tone is great and the direct out is real nice with its pre and post switch. As far as headroom goes, I’ve never ever had to turn this amp past 50%. I use it with a very efficient Eden 210xlt (i've never tried it with a 212) and an RNC compressor. Of course there will be players that disagree and want more power. I've never tried the 750 although I will the first chance I get. What I have been told by the guys at Aguilar is, the 750 is a fantastic amp and very warm for a hybrid (in fact it has one more preamp tube then the 359 to warm it up and compensate for the fact it is a hybrid.) but still does not have the warmth of the all tube 359.

12. Thanks for the feedback. Geez..I hope K Dubbs doesn't us hijacking his thread, sorry! I don't mind heavy it's just that with my DBX 120XP (or SF-2) power conditioner, head and BBE my rack is already at 5 spaces. A four space head is just too much. I seriously miss my old Mesa 400+ and the thought of an all tube rig in a two-space design is just what i want. My current hybrid M-2000 is a fine amp but I just want that "plug 'n play" thing of the tube stuff. Anything you could liken the Aguilar to sounding like? More Ampeg...more Mesa? I am just afraid that if I start pushing the serious lows I love it is going to fuzz out on me before i get there.

13. Actually, last i checked, the DB750 is $50 less, unless when it went up in price, the 359 didn't.

14. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If both the Aguilar and the ErnieBall are the same price,, I would spring for the Aggie!!! Top 'o the line!!

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, to my ears, the aguilar goes for warmer vintage ampeg-ish tones with a hifi edge. blows mesa outta the water. a/b the DB359 against, say, Mesa's Walkabout or 400+, and the aggie wins for tone, no contest.

16. Against a 400+? Have you ever played through a 400+? No way it's better than 16 tubes all lined up in a row. Those amps rule....but I'd be happy with a two space Aggie I'm sure.

17. I think the 400+ sounds great too, but i'd have to agree with joker on this one. Mind you, it's not the quanity of tubes in the head, its the quality of the head, of course in correspondence with it's tubes.

18. Oh I know....but 16! 16 tubes!?!
    :D

19. K Dubbs

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    mad sub. is your guitarcenter still selling those things for 300? have you gone back since?

20. Well seing as i live in Victoria,BC..."my" Guitar center was in Fountain Valley,CA. I had them shipped up. Start phoning all of them...maybe you'll score? I know that the one on El Cerrito had a 2x10 for $249; I've heard great things about those boxes as well.