Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie 659, 680, Demeter 201

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plain Old Me, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    In my quest to find a good preamp, I have narrowed it down to these 3. How much roughly would each one cost? I'm thinking that the 680 sounds the best to my ears so far.

2. Some nice preamps, to be sure, but you'd better be willing to pay through the nose for any of them, especially the Aguilars. The 680 IIRC retails for $1500 USD, the 659 slightly less. As for the Demeter, I'm not sure about the price, though Demeter gear is up there in the price range. To be honest, I've been to basstasters.com, and I wasn't blown away by the sound of either of the Aguilar preamps. The only really astounding preamps I've heard on that site are the Mesa Walkabout, and the Walter Woods (they sound quite similar; I think the WW sounds a little more defined). But, as always, if you have the money, go with what sounds right to your ears; just make sure that after you pull the trigger, you don't come across an amp that sounds the same but costs half the price you paid, or you'll be kicking yourself!

Peace.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you can afford it, and know your way around a parametric EQ, the 680 blows the others away.

if you like the cleaner, somewhat edgier sound of the Demeter, then you must get the HBP-1.

IMHO, its a terrific yet vastly underrated preamp that is now my numero uno pre.

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    If you can afford the 680... BUY IT!

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well it seems like I have an opportunity to get a DB 728 (I had lost hope of getting one when they were discontinued and I didn't have the cash) and I have tried out the pres. The basstasters sample does not do the pres justice. Never tried any other pre by Demeter other than the 201, but that one sounded pretty nice. I am saving up to get one of these pres asap, and I do realize that they are some of the most expensive ones out there. But man, I love their sound.

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    The 201 is probably my favorite dedicated bass pre of all time because I'm a fan of both tone and simplicity however I have to agree 1000% with Joker on this one. The HBP-1 is such a vastly underrated pre-amp. It captures the classic Demeter tone while adding the flexibility of a killer EQ

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If you love the sound of your bass, try the Demeter...very pure :bassist:

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have not tried the HBP-1, but I'm so happy with my 201S that I don't really care what it sounds like.

I put Jan Philips 12AX7WA tubes in mine and it just has a great tone for bass guitar.
    The way I have it set up, I get an amazing amount of punch out of my system -- solid, tight low end; beauceau punch; great midrange; and smooth, clear treble.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    btw, i think the EQ section on the HBP-1 is that much more powerful and flexible, since both knobs have frequency ranges that are closer and overlapping of one another.

i.e. i can cut those boomy 400Hz, yet still get a fat 180Hz punch down below. unfortunately, on the DB680, those two important frequencies are on the same knob, which makes doing what i want impossible. :(

10. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Agreed - The Demeter 201 just sounds great. If you've got a bass that sounds good already you cannot beat the 201.

11. +100 (especially the 1 1/2 unit blackface model :)

Speaking of which - I see one pop up every now and then used - usually for 500 dollars or less. IvanMike sold me mine about 4 months ago - best decision I've made in a LONG time.

just my .02 worth

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have the 680 and it's great!! Definitely the most flexible. Something about the aguilar that just "sits right" in the mix. I just had the best mod done to my HBP-1 which makes it really awesome.... a jensen transformer installed on the D.I by the folks at Demeter. Great EQ, tonal flexibility and no worries about Phantom power!! :hyper:

13. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I had almost the same decision to make. I bought the 659 and don't regret it a bit. Best pre on the market in my isolated opinion. The demeter didn't seem to suit my basses as much as the aggy's (still a great sound though). The 680 seemed like the 659 but with more knobs to set on the center detent.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Here's another happy Demeter HBP-1 user. IMO it's sound is very hard to beat. It's 4-band EQ is voiced perfectly, and it's 2-band parametric EQ is fantastic; I can dial in the right tone for the room I'm playing in with minimal fuss.

It's one of those preamps that you just cannot sound bad through.

When I bought my HBP-1, I emailed Demeter about having a Jensen transformer replacement mod done, but they never returned any of my emails or phone calls.... Oh well, I bought a Radial JDI box to use on the rare ocassions where I'm put into a P.A.. But I'm glad to read that Demeter will do this mod.

-Art

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    would it be weird to have 2 pre-amps in one rack???

i was thinking of having a demeter and an eden pre-amp

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You'd probably want a switch box, but no several people do that.

I'd go for two more different sounds though -- like Dem & Ampeg or Eden & Alembic...DSFDF.

17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have the older 1 1/2 space model Demeter. Wouldn't trade it for anything I have heard so far. Second place goes to the Kern.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    are they really doing this? when didya have it done?

but IMHO, just taking the other out to a DI box is plenty for moi. if i'm feelin' sneaky i'll use a 1/4"/XLR cable, and hook it up to the house's feed. worked beautifully.

and while i have yet to try it, i think a signal from the tuner out has actually been bypassed from the EQ section, thus you can give the house a pristine "adulterated in that demeter way" DI signal.

19. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    YEP! they are doing this!! I talked to Adam and got a reply from he and James Demeter. I got it back about two weeks ago. I have radial DI, I just didn't feel right having to add a cable.