Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie AG500-112 combo opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KUMS, Dec 30, 2005.

1. KUMS

KUMS

Dec 27, 2005
    There's a blem on MF for 1359.15. What's the lowdown on this combo? Is it a good amp? Decent price?

I mainly play in an 11 piece Motown, Stax, 70's R&B group, using a 71 Jazz with Bartolini's, or Spector NS-2, or Spector NS-5XL. Current amp is an old Trace GP7SM250 and TL15EV.

The weight doesn't bother me as 99% of my gigs I can use a dolly to move equip.

Many thanks,

2. Nice combo. You'd probably need another 12 (or your current 15) under it for the type of gigs you do IMO. I've never been able to do even a moderately loud pop gig with 112. If it's the 2 channel model, that seems like a good price to me from what I've seen around.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm suprised there aren't more replys so I thought I'd chime in. I think the ag500 or ag500sc would make a GREAT COMBO. i LOVE my gs112 cabinet and I thought the ag500 is pretty good, hifi, lightweight. I almost bought an ag500, then I got turned onto eden WT300. if I could I would get a WT550 or 800b.

I like round fat tube-type sound.

4. KUMS

KUMS

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks for both of your thoughts.

Do you like the Eden 550 better than the AG500?

How do you mute the 550 for tuning and between sets? The lack of a mute button bothers me for some reason.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    the 550 will give a much fatter sound, but can be thinned out for different tones. the ag500 cannot be thickened to eden fatness, but is a nice tone in and of itself. I think people call it hifi, but not sterile or dry IMO. just clear and articulate, eden will have some fuzz or smear to the attack of your notes, but some people like that sound, I do.

with the wt300 (lower power little brother to the 550) I just turn down the master or my bass. tuner out is always running, but with my korg ca-30 pocket tuner I got a strange buzzing in my sound so I switched to the "send" on the 300.

I'lll have the best of both worlds wt300 WITH aggie gs112 cab. if you buy used you could get a 550/gs112 setup for about $900. cool thing about 550's they go down to 2ohms handleing.

6. KUMS

KUMS

Dec 27, 2005
    Mcrelly,

Thanks for the feedback. I just tried the AG500, hate it more than I could begin to explain. Clean channel sucks, overdrive channel makes it worse.

I'm now on the search for a used WT550.

7. KUMS, are you sure you tried the same amp?

The overdrive channel gets plenty of accolades here, and the clean channel definitely has that great ampeg-on-steroids aguilar sound, albeit tubeless. It's a great amp.

8. KUMS

KUMS

Dec 27, 2005
    OK, I need to tone down my feelings for this amp. The sound quality was not what I expected so I tried again today, and after leaving the amp powered on for a couple of hours I found that the amp started freaking out and making all kinds of noise. It's going back and I'll be testing a new one next week. I'm still going to look for a WT550.

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    are you looking for a smooth fat sound? what brands do you like the tone of? I'm not saying the ag500 or the head are for everyone, but in a light head it is a nice tone, but pricey.

10. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Hey...try cleaning the input jack. The jacks are "self-cleaning", which means that putting the cable in and out should clean them. If there is some smootz on the jack that won't come off in the self-cleaning process, spraying it out with "flux-off' or a similar contact cleaner will do it for sure. If the amp made noises with the instrument cable NOT plugged in, that might very well be the problem.

Anyway, I fully recognize that our amps can't be for everybody; but I thought this might be the problem you are having.

Dave B.

11. I'm sorry you had a less than stellar experience with the AG 500. I use the SC through 2xGS112 in a band that covers '60s and '70s Motown among other things and find it sounds great on those tunes. To me the Aguilar sound can get slightly old school but with modern sheen and clarity. I'm primarily using a Fender Geddy Lee, which is a copy of a 1972 Jazz Bass if I'm not mistaken.

If you do decide to give the AG 500 a shot I'd recommend a seperate head and cab over the combo. Portability may not matter with a dolly, but seperate components allow more flexible in the long run. You can get a SC and GS112 for around the same price as the blem combo.

12. KUMS

KUMS

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks for all the responses. The combo I tried was defective. After a few hours turned on with no cable in the input jack, the amp finally just shutdown and wouldn't turn back on, (MF returns is dealing with it now). I did get a chance to play a 500 head that a friend owns at the gig last night and it sounded pretty good. I'm going to use this one for a few nights live and see how I like it live.