Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie DB 659 pre-amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MikeBass, Mar 2, 2005.

1. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Umm.....just move into the short list of gotta have stuff.
    Played one today, freakin sweet.
    It may be #1 on that short list.
    Played thru a Bergantino 322 with my Sadowsky 5 and damn near had the thing flat (the deep switch was engaged) and it killed.
    How do I swing this and not let the wife know?????????? :meh:
    I've use other pres like this (Demeter, Alembic F2B & F1X, BBE TMax) and they didn't sound like this thing.
    Nice, real nice.

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i feel you mikey,

at Euphoria Studios, each room is outfitted with a Bergie 3x10 and 659, and good freakin' lord, how the heck do they expect us to leave?!?!?

3. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Ouch, thats nice!! :D

4. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I recently traded my Demeter VTBP 201s for an Aguilar DB659. The 659 definitely has the sound I was looking for. I team mine up with a Stewart 1.6 on top of two Aguilar GS 212's and my Sadowsky MV4. I sometimes feel guilty because my set up is so good. As you mentioned, it is tough GASsing up without the spouse knowing. Good luck....

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was really impressed with the 659 on basstasters.com. It just rules with the Sadowskys! I am buying on off of boogiebass, and it is scheduled to arrive today! I hope to put it through its paces fairly soon and get back to all my TB homies...

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'll be picking up one of my HT310's at Low Down Sound tonight! Maybe it's karma that I receive a 659 and an HT310 on the same day? What amps do they use?

7. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Mike, did you hear me playing the Modulus through that rig yesterday? B string damn near blew me out of the store and the amp was flat. That is how all pres should sound flat.

Don't forget to mention that the poweramp that was pushing it all was worth its weight in sh**.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    just an ol' QSC PLX.

9. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I used to have one of these...I wasnt a huge fan of the way it sounded with the whole band. It got lost in the mix alot of the time.

Solo however, it was the balls of the dog!

That could be my cabinets or trying to compete with 2 guitars & a hammond.

I kept my aguilar cabinets though...my GS210 + GS410 sound HUGE together.

10. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Aww man, I was in Youngstown all day today. Missed ya again.
    Let me know the next time your gonna be up @ Low Down so we can meet.
    And let us know how the pre sounds. We had it plugged into a cheap Samson power amp and it still killed.
    I'm gonna roll in there with my Carver and give it a go.

11. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    I was busy running my big mouth but I did notice you playing the Mod thru it (you sound good BTW :) ).
    I'll give you a holler when I swing back in there.
    I plugged my Sadowsky into it and was stunned. Ryan called me and left me a message when it came in. Those guys are like freakin' crack dealers!!!

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    When I got my Aggie 659 I really dug the tone and still do, but I usually end up using my Demeter201....a little more sheen on the hi-end. I still really dig the Aggie....just a different flavor, so it's not going anywhere. I change my mind a LOT!!! :confused:

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Sorry I missed up with you. :meh: I knew in the back of my mind that I should PM a couple of people, but I was in a bit of a rush yesterday, and forgot. I did run into a fellow TBer from Jackson, though I forget his name (his TB handle is one that sounds like one of the names that Ferrari passed on for its new model...). At any rate, I saw the 659 that they have there (and I think the infamous Samson crap amp! :p). Don hinted that it might be making its way into his rig, though, so you may need to get up there soon!

My 659 came in from boogiebass yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm hoping to just have a blast trying out some new gear tonight (which should include a DB 728 that I expect to arrive today!).

Speaking of Low Down Sound, I really had a nice time with them last night. They all treat you real well. I walked out of there with a used HT310, new Accugroove Tri 208 and a new HT115. I didn't know they had the HT115, and I hadn't planned on buying that one, but after hearing it, I was blown away! I also tried pretty much all of the LDS/Patterson cabs they had, and was very impressed. More on that in another thread...

Later, Tom.

14. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Damn Tom, you made their day!!!!!! All that gear you bought.
    Don is a big fan of the BBE TMax, so I'm not surprised he likes the 659. The thing is sweet.
    I think a GTG is needed sometime very soon for our area.
    I'll check with Don and the boys to see if maybe we can use LDS as a meeting place. It's kinda small, but hey, it will be fun.
    More on the GTG later.......................

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Excellent idea...

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cool that you got the HT115, Tom. Good cab! ;)

17. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I'm in for a GTG. Man, I bet the 659 into the HT115 is sweet...

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    That GTG sounds like a plan, Like they say in Will Popes neck of the woods "I'm down with that". Yah and you sounded OK with the 659 there was another Pre I liked better but we won't go into that.

19. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Jeez.....Let it go man!!! ;)
    The U5 is nice, but IMO I've heard better. For what I do it doesn't knock me out. But it sounds good with you, so I guess thats all that matters.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I had a chance to play around with the 659 that I bought from boogiebass, and wanted to share my thoughts/observations. First off, set flat (and with the Sovtek 12AX7's it had in it), I agree that the tone was a bit more "wolly" than I normally go for. But, it did have a nice, beefy yet clear low end, somewhat polite mids, and pretty good overall clarity. I also noticed that it was extremely quiet! After a bit of EQ-ing (and with the Sovteks installed), I found that I liked the bright switch engaged, boosted highs (to about 3:00), mids cut almost all the way, and slightly boosted lows. This tone was very impressive, and was very reminiscent of my Navigator with the EQ set flat, and the Enhance at about 9:00 - in fact, I was trying to cop the Navigator's tone, and got very close.

Then, I tried swapping out the Sovteks for two NOS ribbed plate Telefunkens. Momma Mia! Very nice improvement! The midrange improved the most, and now I could dial in mids and still be quite happy. The high end seemed a bit more smooth and pleasing as well. Overall, it just sounded more musical and more articulate with the Tele's, especially after they had warmed up for a while. I was able to get a sound very similar to my Navigator, but just a bit more "tube-like", which is exactly what I wanted to do.

I was super pleased with the sound of the 659 with my DB 728. I tried it with several cab combos (more on that in another thread, soon), but for the most part, with the Telefunken tubes and the 728, I liked the tone best with the highs slightly boosted (about 2:00), bright on, mids and lows set flat, and deep engaged at low to moderate volumes (it's too much for most cabs if you really crank it).

The saga continues!!! :D

Tom.