Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie DB-750, Loud or Noisy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jun 10, 2002.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I finally tried one out this weekend.
    It was set on top of an Eden 210 and 410.

Boyo, turning the master up a to 9-o'clock, I then eased the gain up from zero. Holy mackerel!!! I barely touched the gain and It was CRANKING!!!

I fiddled around with it a bit. Some pretty nice tone, but I was more overwhelmed by the potential power this thing had. I'm not too fond of the Eden cabs. To me they are a bit harsh. The signal had a very loud hissy hum. Even with the volume all the way down. It didn't go up at all with the volume so it was buried pretty reasonably. Maybe it was the way it was set up. I tried 3 different basses and two cables and the noise was there all along. It was something I would have to consider if I were going to purchase it. I wouldn't just get used to it.

The other thing was the glaring blue light. Like a xenon beam!!!

That rig is dangerous. You could deafen and blind the audience!!!

Anyone had the same feelings about the noise this thing generates, or maybe it was an anomaly.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think part of the problem was putting the volume on three and then turning the input gain up like that. I keep my gain at about 4, or 5, and the master volue gets to about 2 1/2 before the ears start to bleed. :D

The power amp does have some noticable hiss when nothing is being played, but I have yet to have a playing situation where the hiss was noticable after the band was playing.

I can tell you that when I ran the DB750 direct to my digital 8 track that it was as quiet as a church mouse, so I can get that crystal clear, ballsy tone without any added hiss by going direct for recordings.

I've been running the DB750 at 8 ohms with one GS112 cab, and it has been loud enough for most situations that I've taken the amp into, but I also haven't been competing with distorted guitars. Once I start playing with rock guitars, the second gs112 will come out to play.

3. You think it's possible the attenuator for the tweeter on the cabinet(s) was turned all the way up and this is why you were hearing that hissing sound?

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Have you guys noticed how loud those fans are? I love mine, but geez, this thing couldn't get used in the studio with the constant whirrr of the fans - really loud!

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, the fans are pretty loud. I figured if I ever used it in the studio, I'd isolate the head from the cabinet so it could be miked, and I'd run the direct out.

The direct tone is amazing, though. Worth the weight. Worth the fan noise. Yum.

As for the tweeter, I don't think that is the source of the hiss. I think it is just the nature of the beast. I usually leave one of my tweeters rolled all of the way off, and the other straight up. And, the hiss is there even when I am playing my passive bass with flatwounds. Like I said, though, once you are actually playing (especially with the rest of the band) there is no audible hiss over the monster tone.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes, it is a powerful, but like Uncle Ben said, "with great power comes great responsibility..." :D

anyways, in my friend's studio, we just run the DI out. but our fans arent that noisy at all. you might wanna try cleaning out the dust and whatnot. sounds about the same as my old Dell at work.

hiss-wise, might have been the way it was wired. but, i still think it coulda been the tweeters in the cabs. some are harsh, others are mellower. but, of course, it depends on your setup. thru an aggie 4x10, or Epi 2x12, and even my bergie/aguilar pair, hiss wasnt that much of an issue. only when you had it crankin' to nearly max power, would you get that audible hiss. OMG, the tone thru my bergie/aguilar setup....

:eek::eek::eek:

7. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yeah, I've got this thing paird with a Bergie 310 and a Bergie 212 - WOW!

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i am now stupendously jealous of you...

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Then you don't want to know that your tax dollars puchased it, do you? :D

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I was wondering about that. But, hey, better they buy you a bitchin' rig than a $10,000 toilet seat adjustment wrench...

11. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Oh, but I think I've got one of those laying around here somewhere too...... :D

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    this is all just wrong!!! :confused:

;)

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Alright, now, I'm mad....I had to buy my own dagnabbed toilet seat adjuster wrench.....

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Yes, but I'm a federally employed professional toilet seat adjuster.:cool: