Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie DB750 at South Chicago GC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fred312b, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I need to stay out of GC's. I was debating getting an HH Sting Ray (which I've decided to put off for now), but I made the mistake of going to the South Chicago (on Cicero) GC last night and they have a "new" (been on the sales floor so technically a demo, but in excellent shape) Aguilar DB750 which has never been sold so it has the 10 year warranty for $1469.99. I didn't play through it but I did power it up to see the 45 second self-diagnostic (that's a long 45 seconds) and it did that fine. Somebody go buy this before I figure out how to work my finances to pick it up (as I already am working on).

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Run, don't walk...:)

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    How does one get to this GC via CTA? I'm a student at the University of Chicago, and would love to go check out some of this place's music stores. Any other suggestions accessable via CTA?

4. That's one heck of a price. If it is indeed new.......I didn't know GC was an authorized aggie dealer.

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Geeze Leweeze!!! :eek: $1470 for a floor demo Big Daddy Aggie!!! I would have to agree that is one hellava bargain! I bought mine from a buddy... a bassists who is also a naval officer. He got orders to report to a ship over in the Persian Gulf. Apparently he had to replace an executive officer for some reason or other. Anyway, my friend had this DB750 for about 10 months. He offered it to me for 18 Ben Franklins... I wrote him a check before he could change his mind! At the time I had a Marshall VBA400, so I wasn't looking for another amp... but at that price, I had to take it. Not to mention I wanted to help out a freind. I only recently sold my beloved Marshall... I got an offer I couldn't refuse, and I know at some point I'm going to regret doing so... :crying:

6. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Well.... I've been told that Musician's Friend is GC on the web... so, if that's indeed the case, MF has Aggie products for sale at the click of your mouse button... ;)

7. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you're supposed to be talking me out of buying it... as far as getting there from the u of c... it's on south cicero at 83rd street... you can get the cicero bus from the cicero el station on the orange line... or just take one of the busses over (55th? 63rd?) over to cicero... i haven't taken the cta in a LONG time... i wouldn't go too nuts about getting to gc myself though- it's not that exciting... if you want, maybe sometime i could show you some of the better stores (bassclub, makin' music), schedules permitting (i work overnights so i usually don't get started until 4pm)...

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What? You don't own it yet?

9. +1! I'd buy it if I didn't have one already!

Peace,

T

10. Buy it.

And thank god that you don't live in Australia!

Those babies go for about $4000 AUD ($3300US approx) here, and they never come up used.

11. Rich's_Alice

Rich's_Alice

Aug 18, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I got mine for $2,000 and thought I got a deal.

We expect a report on how you like your new cab this evening! Yes, that is a rhetorical question. It's alot of $$$ but it is alot of amp.

We're no help are we? :rollno:

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Do anything you have to do in order to grab that amp at that price. That is without doubt the deal of the century.

13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I sold the DB750 because the AG500 is more than adequate for my current needs and a lot easier on my back. $1400 is a more than reasonable price to expect for a used-for-several-years DB750, which is why a warrantied floor demo DB750 for that price would indeed be a steal IMO.

14. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    good- i can stop looking for organ banks online now...

15. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Smash-A long and winding road...Congratulations on your new Aggi head-this is also my dream head :bag: for my Schroeder 410...though at this point I probably don't need it unless I start some major touring-but my question is...what cabinets are you going to be powering with it? ...Peace...DAcat :cool:

16. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    eh, that store's okay- they're bass selection is usually pretty crappy though (as all gc's tend to be) but they do have some really interesting used basses right now (like they bought out some high end shops inventory, but i've also heard they got some stuff from indianapolis which is supposed to get a lot of high end trade-ins)... i am glad someone got to take adavantage of this deal besides my credit card companies- i was very tempted myself, but it's just not the right time for me... i hope you enjoy it and i am glad to see i was able to positively affect the us trade deficit ;)

17. Congrats Smash;

the DB750 is a hell of an amp, and it's my main gig rig.

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congrats!

I'm interested in how it compares to the B1500.

I'd love to have a DB750 someday -- great amp.

19. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yeh I'd called them the next morning after the initial post to this thread and offered them $1500 shipped to Dixie. Figured I'd get a yes or no and that'd be that. Wrong.

They called back several times. 2nd to the last time it sounded like a done deal. They took my Card info/address and I figured that was that. Then they called back and said they needed the sales tax on it. I said I'd pass. I need another amp like a I need another amp.

Then I remembered they'd took my card info and I called back to make sure they destroyed it.

Took me back to the first time I ever bought a new car. Kind of strange.

They denied it was a Demo to me and they didn't say anything about no warranty or original packing.

20. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh initially he said there'd be no sales tax, which was news to me. I figured a sale within the state is a sale within the state no matter who buys it or from where and the state is not going to let some loophole screw them out of cash. Without sales tax an issue, I was actually offering them their asking price.

In fact the final sale price shipped was set at $1491 by them. Then he calls back and says cause there's a GC in Carolina (and what state doesn't have a dozen of them?) I'd have to pay sales tax.

I was talking to him between when they opened at 10 to maybe 10:30 and 10:45. Warren was the guys name. The Demo thing I asked about directly, the warranty/box aspect never came up.

I may have even tossed in the sales tax if it weren't for the bourgois manner they handled it in.

They played rap music while I was on hold for a minute and I almost reflexively hung up when it came on. It was all I could do to keep from hanging up regardless. Rap, the ultimate Dis.