Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

aggie DB750 vs. ampeg SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

For those who have tried both of these amps, how do they compare? Variables i'm most interested in include: fingerstyle tone, slap tone, *od/distortion tone*, versatility (with different musical styles, i.e. rock, jazz, funk, country, etc.), and other factors that are interesting about these amps. Similarities, differences, anything. I just wanna know how these 2 amps stack up against each other!

2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Aguilar wins in every category. IT is however much more expensive.

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    *Every* category? OD? As good as the Aggie is, I'd be hard pressed to believe that Aguilar made a hybrid that bests an all-tube (especially THE all-tube) amp at what it does best.

Please, convince me. And I do know that this is subjective.

[Edit: I'm referring to the old SVT, not the newer SVT-CL. I wasn't really thinking about which one you meant.]

4. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    The aggie will probalby have a better clean tone, but if you want some grit and overdrive when you need it, the SVT is your winner.

For the money, I think the SVT is the better buy

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Aggie is much better at slap and pop and jazz, but for rock, blues, and country the SVT wins, especially in overdrive.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    this is about the same as ford vs chevy................ :rollno:

get over it, they're both great.

7. WOOFMAN

WOOFMAN

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    I've never seen an Aggie or SVT dead on the side of the road. :hyper:

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let's say the Aggie and the Ampeg are pretty much equal in most respects. You could always buy the Ampeg, but then you'd have ... an Ampeg.

9. Scott Lynch

The one thing that turns me off about the SVT is that it doesn't run at 8 ohms. As much as i'd like a big, honkin' tube head, i don't thing it would cut it for smaller jazz gigs and such. Dang nabbit, if only i had $5000 i'd buy 'em both!

And one other question: does the aggie run at 16 ohms? I was thinking, if i got the DB750 i'd put 16 ohm speakers in my GS112's to run the 750's poweramp at low wattage, but buy 2 larger 8 ohm cabs (gs410/115) or one 4 ohm cab (GS412) for the big shows.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The aggie IMO is an upgraded ampeg. Aguilar would be the next evolution of the SVT ever evolved. It is cleaner and does a lot of things better but, there is definitely a different sound. For a direct comparison to the SVT try an aggie 728 poweramp with a 680 and you won't ever look back and think about an SVT

11. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I actually think that the Aggie breaks up alittle smoother than the ampeg and pikebass is right, it would be the next evolution of the svt. Thats exactly what I thought! :smug: It's cleaner, I like the breakup better and it jut looks cool too! The low end is tighter also. For a reference, when I've used this head, I went into it with a billy sheehan attitude bass and a boss bass compressor/ limiter. Very nice but, it kind of only has that one sound no matter how you eq it. But, the ampeg stuff does this as well. You always kind of get that tone out of either amp.

12. Really? This is news to me. Please explain this to me.

I find this approach to be using backwards logic. When you consider watts vs. total speaker area the larger cabs are gonna be louder every time. Why not just leave the GS112's stock and only use what is required. Some gigs may require that you don't need to run both cabs.

I've played through a DB680/DB728 rig and it was sweet and creamy. Very full and rich sounding. It wasn't an SVT though and I'm comparing it to a vintage SVT not a CL. Each amp has it's own voice. The lines may be gray in some areas but that doesn't change the fact that one is not 100% interchangable with the other. I think that the same would be true for the DB750 and the SVT. Both great amps but you need to figure out which one suits you better.

Jeff

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Or you could get the Aguilar but then you would have... an Aguilar.

14. And a much lighter wallet! LOL! ;)

15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the 750 will run at any impedance above 2 ohms. it has a solid state poweramp section.

and yes, modding cabs to be 16 ohms would be just plain silly. if you want to be quieter, use the volume knob (turn it to the left).

16. Scott Lynch

I could be wrong. The specs on the ampeg website, however, list no output level at 8 ohms for the SVT. If the SVT ran at 8 ohms that would probably break the tie for me on which amp to get.

17. On the Ampeg site it says the power rating was N/A which to means not available. You should be able to run that amp at 8 ohms no problem. Anyone out there have a SVT CL and run it at 8 ohms?

18. According to the manual I found on the Ampeg site for the SVT CL there is an impedance selector on the back for a 2 ohm or a 4 ohm tap. Nowhere in the manual does it say you cannot run at 8 ohms. In fact on the second page that lists the safeguards and precautions it states to always keep the total impedance at or above the rated load. I'd think you could select the 4 ohm setting and run one cab without major issues. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I just want to say that I'm not really a big fan of the SVT CL but I wanted to point out that you "should" be able to run at 8 ohms.

Jeff

19. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    nope, you cant do it....i mean, you could do it, but the svt is meant for 2 or 4 ohm loads.....its not made for an 8 ohm tap....so....sorry, you cant do 8.....

20. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    now i currently own a newer svt cl.....ive owned an ampeg 410hlf, ampeg 410 he and 115e ampeg cabs, and an ampeg 810e...and i was not happy with the sound through an of those combinations.....i just purchased a bergantino nv425, it should be here next week.....im gonna try the ampeg through it, but i really want(and im seriously about to buy) the aguilar 750.....ive just heard great stuff about them......the tube sound without all the MUD.....i guess well see what happens....any advice?