Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie DB924 to QSC USA900 signal boost?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MuzikMan, May 22, 2004.

1. I am digging the sound out of this combination but as you may know the output level of the DB924 is too low to fully power the QSC USA 900 power amp.

I have heard of devices that boost signal between pre and power amp but don't know a thing about them. Who makes them? What are they called? What type of enclosure do they come in? (rack, little box, Pile of wires?)

I am awaiting shipment of a Rane EQ which has input and output gain controls. This may be all I need but I am curious about other possibilities.

I need help!.........on this subject.

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Radio Design Labs is one company I've recommended. They make an assortment of products, including a few gain boxes suitable for boosting consumer audio levels up to pro levels.

Are you sure the Aggie can't even put out a volt?

3. Thank you for your response. The db924 doesn't put out much gain unless you crank up the bass and treble knobs. I want to keep it set nearly flat, with only a slight boost at 40hz and 4khz. Since the controls are boost only, they need to be turned fully counter-clockwise to be flat.

I have not been able to get an output voltage level figure from the internet but to my ears it falls well short of the mark.

I think I could use a voltage meter to find out. Time to learn how to use a voltage meter!

4. billys73

billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Don't know what it puts out; but the DB 924 is the same preamp as their OBP-1, which is designed for in-bass use, so it's supposed to drive a preamp, not a power amp. The 924 is for guys with multiple basses or who don't want to do an installation. That being said, I have gone direct from my bass, which has an OBp-1, into a Crown amp. It worked; but not real well. I had the same experience with the Sadowsky "outboard" preamp, which is similar. IME

5. That's correct. I guess I made a bad assumption that everybody is familiar with the DB924.