1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aggie GS112 port diameter and depth

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ben Esparza, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Can someone that owns an Aguilar GS112 please let me know the inside diameter and depth, bottom of tube to flange, of the port tubes on this cab? I'm planning on building a similar cab using the same dimensions.

2. Please bear in mind that if you clone a speaker cabinet you should use the exact same speaker that is in the original. Anything else leaves you with a crapshoot.

Paul

3. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    What speaker are you planning on using? As Paul says, if it isn't the exact driver you won't be able to predict what you'll end up with (it could be :spit:). That said, it just so happens that I'm doing something similar but I'm using a couple of Deltalite II 2512's that I got fairly cheap. Get WinISD Pro Alpha and model the cabinet. You'll be able to play around with the number of ports, their size (diameter and length) and see what response that you get. It's not that hard. You just have to make sure that you have all the correct driver parameters and a good estimate of the internal box volume (subtract some for the driver and bracing).

4. It just so happens that I will be using the DeltaLite II 2512. I figure since Aggie uses an Eminence in the GS112, the specs shouldn't be far off. I also figure that after the 3rd beer, no one will care!

5. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I replaced the OEM Eminence drivers in a pair of my GS112s with Deltalite IIs and consider it a positive change.

Kim

6. Jamie Bishop

Jamie Bishop Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing Artist: Laney Amplication
    I have a GS 112, I don't have time right now to open up the grill, but they are 3" in diameter and appear to be about 5" deep. Hope this helps, if no one else gets back I can open it up with more time.

Jamie

7. Jamie,

If you wouldn't mind going through the trouble, I would be very grateful. As far as the diamemter, I would like the inside diameter since the outside flanges may vary in size depending on the manufacturer. A dead on depth from the back of the port tube to the flange would be what I'm after as well. Thanks, again.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The 2512-II does work decently in the GS112 enclosure but its specs are pretty far removed from the stock driver. Huge variation in specs within the brand's different models.

Alex

9. qts

qts

May 15, 2006
    Ijmuiden-holland
    Does it mean, my 12/6 D12lf is not ported well?
    I'f chosen to use one 4'' port
    Would it be better to put an other 4''?

10. The Deltalite might and no amount of beer will change that fact! If you don't do the job right you have a crapshoot.

Paul

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    I dont think its as big of a crap shoot as some make it out to be.. After all you are not designing a freaking Studio playback monitor for NASA.. its a bass guitar cab to be used in bar gigs etc... basses and bass amps and even cabs from esoteric builders are so colored its ridiculous. unless you are in a anechoic chamber who cares... have fun...
    Let the guy experiment and have a good time with his build. he may come upon something that all the NAME builders missed...

12. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, in some categories everybody is using ~ the same tunings and cab volumes with very similar drivers anyway.

13. TomesoR

TomesoR

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I believe Aguilar uses the Eminence American Standard DELTA-12LFA in the GS-112, so you could look up the Thiele-Small parameters and probably take some on the guess work out of it. Let us know how it worked out (just realized this is an older thread).

14. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Sorry; but not so. We don't use the 12LFA in the GS 112.
    You might like that driver, though....or the Delta lite. IMHO the Delta lite in the GS 112 brings the high mids forward to much. But for some people, that is a sound they are going for.

Hope this helpful!

Dave B. (the other Dave)

15. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Hi Dave. Thanks for dropping in. Is the OEM "similar" to the old Gamma Pro?

Kim

16. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Hey Kim,

You're welcome. I'm glad to be here!

Regarding Gamma Pro:
    No, not at all similar. The only off the shelf driver we use from Eminence is our NEO 12".

:) Dave B.

17. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Thanks, Dave! I have two originals and two with Deltalite 2512 IIs...and they are still my favorite cabs.

Kim