Aggie GS112 - with or w/out tweeter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bino, Jul 11, 2005.

1. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've tracked down both of these cabs. Any reason why a fingerstyle player would miss the tweeter? Or do these cabs sound "off" without it? How good a crossover do they have? I'm just looking to use one for now.

The NT is barely cheaper, but brand new w/ warranty.
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    personally I'd never play without a tweeter if I were playing a variety of music, especially anything involving slap. But even with fingerstyle only, a tweeter just gives more articulation and a modern edge to your tone.
    Its personal, many here will be on board with "ditch the tweeter" route.
    Many will agree otherwise. I've read zero complaints about the cross-over on the Aggie.
  3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    You can always turn the tweeter down or off, you know. I'd get the one with the tweeter.
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    you'll probably have an easier time re-selling one with a tweeter down the road... :bassist:
  5. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    cool. just bought one w/ tweeter. thanks for the advice.
  6. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    That’s my philosophy too, and for what it’s worth, I play finger style with a P strung with flatwounds, and I like the tweeter up about 1/3 the way on my GS212.

- John
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I still have one left that I use for small gigs... the tweeter is a helpful addition, You can always shut it off. I turned it off for recording recently, cause some of the hiss and stuff came through the tweeter, which didn't come through the the 12inch speaker.

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I bought one of each just because I didn't need two tweeters in my rig. If I were only going to use one I'd get the one with the tweeter. I only turn it up 1/4 of the way anyway.
  9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have two with tweeters (before they offered the other version). I still only use the tweeter on one. If I had only one, I would defintely get a tweeter.