Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie GS112 + ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbuddy, Jan 7, 2006.

1. I'm putting together a small, mobile modular rig that hopefully will handle any gig. My Aggie GS112 will take care of 95% of my dates, but I need to add another cab for the few gigs that demand more, mostly outdoor stuff. My first inclination is to just get another GS112; I love the way they sound, it would be aesthetically pleasing, they're easy to move, and cheap enough.

If I have one complaint it's that the Aggie is a bit "open" sounding, and the tweeter's a tad harsh. It might be nice to find another cab that sounds a bit tighter and sweeter to round out the program, maybe one that would would be ideal for use as a stand-alone for URB gigs as well. If it makes a difference, I'd be using either an EA iAmp350, or a rack system with an Alembic or Sansamp pre and a Stewart power amp for the bigger gigs. Size and weight are key here, as I'm doing this to replace a MM Audiophile 2x12 that was simply more than I wanted to have to schlep around.

Any ideas?

2. Not an answer, but I have exactly the same question (what cab to go with my GS112 ?)

I heard another bass player who was very happy with his 1x12 + 1x10 setup......He also says it's loud enough for gigs up to 300 people or so.....

So maybe a 1x10 ?

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    You can't really go wrong with another GS112, and as has been said MANY times already, 2 is more than 1+1.

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Get the Aguilar 112NT

No tweeter!

5. The pair of GS112's is hard to beat and is my regular gigging rig, however I also use a Dr.Bass RX210 cab with one of my GS112's and it sounds great, its a compact and light 2x10 and actually weighs the same as the Aggie , just a tiny bit bigger too so its no real hassle to bring both cabs together.
    The combination of the pair of Eminence Beta 10's in the Dr.Bass and the Aggie 12 seems to work well, and the overall change in sound would be to add a slightly edgier growl than the pair of GS112's together. I guess it depends on the gig and the bass you are using. I find I prefer my Precision and my Stingray with the pair of Aggies, while I much prefer my old 69 Jazz with the Dr.Bass sitting on its side on top of the single GS112...Lovely tone and punch, with volume to spare using an AI Clarus II ( 200w Into 4 ohms) with a SABBDI in the front or an Eden WT400. I think old Jazz basses like 10's anyway so thats probably half the trick! So maybe you could try a compact 2x10 with your GS112 and be pleasantly surprised at the results!

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Bergantino (maybe even an IP series) or Aguilar would be my first choices, or maybe a Wizzy if you can find one. 210s are also great matches for 12s. I don't think LDS has been mentioned here either.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    agreed. I tried one of my Gs112's on top of my Bergie HT115 and didn't dig it as well as a pair of GS112's.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I run an RBI/stewart world 1.2/aggie gs112/gs-112NT (no tweeter) (see signature)

The two aggies together will give you a deeper tone, not just the 112 only louder type sound. many people say the aggie tweeter is not bad, but I usually leave mine off especially if I have a buzzy guitar or use alot of "presence" on the RBI

I"m confident the two aggies with the stewart will be loud enough for stage monitoring outside. I"ve given up trying to have a totally "outdoor" capable rig. I DON'T WANT TO HAUL THAT MUCH EQUIPMENT!!! Let the PA guy figure that out.

p.s. I use the dbx sort of as a speaker protection. I run about 1.5:1 ratio -20db threshold. I run the stewart mono.

9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Concur.

Before trying something else, I would give an add'l GS112 a shot. The combination of two cabs gives a much different tone than one alone, and should be judged on its own merits. I use one in church but two in a loud club band, and it's a totally different vibe. Usually Aggies are being accused of being dark, "molasses-y" etc., but they are a perfect complement to my bright-ish jazz-style bass with a maple board. They sound huge, and definitely tame the highs even running the tweeters full on. Works for me. :cool:

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    lump, I guess I forgot to say "yes, I like the sound of two aggie 112s together, even though it is a thicker sound, but in a great way!!!"

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Another cab that worked well for me is the EA CxL110. They don't make em anymore, but it's tibre made up for what the GS112 lacked. It also has a similar speaker sensitivity, so neither cab will be louder than the other.

The GS112 is an efficient cab, so it may wind up being louder than alot of other cabs because of it.

As mentioned, if you like the sound of your GS112 already, I'd get a GS112NT. At the price, it's hard to go wrong.

12. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't think that anyone said this...I kind of skimmed through the posts...but I think the GS112 sounds AMAZING with a GS210. Although I think both sound great on their own, combined they really compliment each other.

13. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    To my ears the best combination with a GS112 (Yeah I have a matching set) is the aggie with an epifani 112. I really like this setup with various amps. You can't go wrong with 2 aggie 112s though.

Epifani adds more punch and a little growl to a cab with alot of booty...Best of both worlds.

14. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm going at this a little different and looking to match a 12 with my existing rig. The GS112 is a sweet cab by itself, but is louder when running together b/c it's more sensitive than my other cabs. The Epi is listed as being slightly less efficient than the GS112, so I was thinking of trying it with my current set-up. Do you find the GS112 louder than the Epi 112? I'm thinking it might not really be noticeable at 2 db; and with variance in specs.

I haven't heard 2 GS112s, but can only imagine it's good.

15. m1911

m1911

Dec 9, 2003
    Right before Christmas I ordered a GS-212 and a GS-210 for EXACTLY the same purposes you describe.
    The 2x12 will get most of the use, then toss the 2x10 on top for larger gigs.
    The whole rig isn't in yet, but I'll let you know how it works.
    Mark

16. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

Haven't noticed a difference in volume levels. I tried a GS 112 with a berg HT112 and noticed a big difference in volume. To my ears this is a good match. Sometimes two aggies can get a little thick.. depending on what amp you are using. The aggie maybe a little louder, but it is a good mix... not unbalanced...

17. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston

+1. I use a GS112 and a GS210 (powered by a Mesa M-Pulse 600). My amp GAS in no more. This is "the rig" for me. YMMV.

18. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    why did they stop making them??

19. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    The HT112 might be a better fit for my old EA cabs (and newer iAmp); but I'm guessing the aggie has more booty. The GS112 is a bit louder than my other cabs, but it still sounds sweet together cause it fills out the low end. Mostly, I use them separately depending on the occasion.

20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I use two Aggie GS112's at my rehearsal space and I am always blown away at how much punchier, deeper and more focused sounding the second GS112 makes to the overall sound versus one GS112 alone. I will be using this rig at a gig this Friday where I usually use a Bergie HT/EX112 mini stack. I want to hear how the Aggies work together at a live gig.

Based on the punch and depth that I hear in my rehearsal space, I am expecting decent results. But gigs are always different and present different acoustic challenges. I'll post a report after my gig with the pair of GS112's. I will be using a Lakland DJ5 bass, an F Bass BN5, and an Ashdown ABM500 head. We play everything from blues, R&B, Funk, Soul, Motown, Jazz and some classic rock. Gary