Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie GS210 arrives

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boomer, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    So, that's 2/3 of my rig. Waiting on a GS115. I have a GS112 here but the GS210 kicks its butt although they sound pretty good together with the TFB-550, the GS115 in place of the GS112 should make for some huge bottom.

However, even being aware of the specs on the 210, I was still stunned by the weight. I'm a geezer and used to 1x12 and 2x12 guitar cabs. I'm going to have to hire a roadie for the living room let alone getting this stuff up and down stairs. Oy!

For the record, Dave Boonshoft is a hell of a guy!

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's great to know you like it. I own 2 GS112s but I want and like a more mid oriented cab. That's why I bought a S810 and I should get it in the next week. If I love it maybe I'll even by an S210 for smaller stuff. But taht's another story.

Take care and I agree, everyone at Aguilar are extremely nice and helpful.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How "modern" does it sound?

Thanks in advance.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You should try carrying a GS410 some time!

5. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I wish I could answer that but I have no basis for comparison. My local Aggie dealer didn't have any of the cabs on the floor so I pretty much ordered them sight unseen ... as it were.

It seems to have a similar sound to the GS112 but feels like it goes deeper, has much more punch and while I usually play a 4-string, it handles my 5-string much better than the 112. I haven't fooled with the tweeter yet.

I'd love an 810 but it is completely impractical for a Madison Square Living Room player and I'd have to buy a bigger vehicle.

Unless the 115 is a complete dud, I can't see ever needing a bigger rig. I like that this is modular and since both cabs (I hope) sound great individually, I don't need to schlep both around. One day I might even get out there and join a band or something!

6. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    Seriously...Its like lifting a house.

7. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    The 210 handles the B-string better than the GS112!! If that's true, that 210 has to be extremely good, since my GS1112 sounds great down to my B. I agree that it has to be punchy punchy, just how I like it, but it's cool to now that it has as much or more depth and bottom than the GS112. But trust me, try 2 GS112s and you'll get an awesome deep bottom right down to your 5-string. That 210+12 combo is a very good and portable rig, congrats. I'd say you get another GS112 instead of the GS115. You'll have amazing bass and it should be more clear and "cut" more than the 15.

Enjoy it...

8. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    While I like the sound of the 112, I don't seem to be able to get much volume out of it before it starts to fart out. So, either the driver needs a recone or replacement or I'm doing something wrong. In any case, in the living room I like the 210 better. No idea what it sounds like in a band mix yet but running the 210 and 112 together is pretty good. I'd certainly rather carry the 112's around and I did talk to Dave about a 212 rather than the 115 but I'm still fairly convinced that the 115 is the right cabinet for me. If I had a bigger vehicle and an elevator ... things might be very different! ;)

9. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I would suggest getting one more 12, as opposed to a 212 or 115.

Two 1x12's will go deeper than a gs212 for some odd reason. I've ehard that from a lot fo people. You already have the 12, and it would be much cheaper to just get one more 12. With the 2 12 cabs hooked up together, I doubt you'll get any farting in as long as you keep the volume reasonable in your 210+12+12 rig.

Just my 2 cents,
    Good luck

10. Boomer

Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I'm afraid that running three 8 ohm cabinets would invalidate the warranty on my Thunderfunk!

In any case, Aguilar already has my money and they are supposed to ship the 115 this week ... I hope!
    :hyper:

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions on the subject. I might end up picking up another used 112 down the road for those days I don't feel like hiring a roadie! :D