Aggie GS412 or Schroeder 310212???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ryan L., Oct 2, 2005.

1. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hey all,

I am looking to buy a new cab in the near future. I have been reading and researching for quite some time now, and have narrowed my search down to these two cabs for now. I won't be able to try either out before buying, since I am located far from any dealers of them. So, hopefully, trial periods will be available on whichever I decide on. I still am hoping to get it right the first time, however. ;)

I will be powering the cab with my SVT4 Pro head. What I am looking for is something with deep, clear, punchy bass, without getting too rumbly or muddy in the lows. I like highs that come through well but are not "brittle" sounding, if you know what I am getting at, so a decent horn/tweeter is a must. I also am in need of some serious stage volume with one of the bands that I play with, and from what I have heard, both cabs will get pretty loud. And I want the cab to retain it's tone at volume as well. I play quite a few styles, everything from classic rock to country to modern rock and other stuff in between. I play mainly fingerstyle, but do have several songs that I slap on (Tommy the Cat, some RHCP, etc). I will be playing an F Bass BN6 and a Modulus Q6 through them, mainly. (trying to give all the info I can now, even though some of this probably doesn't matter)

I am hoping that a new cab will solve my amp GAS for now. My SVT410HLF just doesn't seem to have the clarity and punch that I am after anymore, and will not put the volume that I need at times. And I don't want to go buy another of them (I used to run two of them, but I don't want to go that route anymore).

I am open to other suggestions that I may have overlooked as well, provided that they are in the same price range as the two cabs I have mentioned. But please give me a reasoning behind why you are suggesting a different cab, so I have some idea about it.

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Sounds like you described the 3101212 pretty well in your description of what you're looking for.

You might be happy with just a 21012 or a 410, but if you want to guaranty being heard in ANY situation, the bigger cab will get you there.

The tweeters are vey musical.
    IMO, any of the Schroeder cabs will deliver a lot more solid punchiness and sound better when 'slapped' than the Agie 412.
  3. Are you planning on broadcasting to the entire state of North Dakota, Ryan? I don't need anywhere near the kind of volume you are talking about, but I play a lot of the same kind of music.

Last night we had the local harvest festival with lots of musicians from all over the country playing at the local bar: 3 basses, 5 guitars, a steeler, two drummers, 3 keyboardists. I got to play with and listen to lots of different combinations. The bass amp was an AG500 through a GS410 and GS210 stack. We had about 150 people on the dance floor and another 75 at tables. After listening to the other bass players and talking with the sound guy I came to the conclusion that I could probably do very well with a 500+/- watt solid state amp (AG500, EpiUL502, WT550, TFB550, etc.) and a Schroeder 1212 or 1210.

I am a big fan of Aguilar and I think you could be happy with either cab, but I think what you are describing is Schroeder.
  4. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The more I have read, the more I am thinking that the Schroeder might more match my needs/wants. I left a message with Brian at LowEnd regarding the Schroeder, so I am waiting to hear from him.

My whole idea here is to never have to be in the situation again where I am left wishing I had more. I have the power to drive most cabs with the SVT 4, so now I want a cab that I can turn it up on if I need to.

I am sure that Jorg's 410 would probably never leave me wanting, either, but I am very intrigued by his 310+212 cabinet. And, it is in the price range that I set for myself, so it interests me that much more now. :)
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You described my Schroeders flat tone in your second paragraph.

I'm sure a 410 would do you.. But if you want more, heck, why not? I also play lots of primus/chili's/old incubus sort of stuff. Then classic rock, heavy, funk, blues, jazz. Fits the bill.
  6. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    But you're talking about a 4 12" right? It's an exceptional cab. I had the opportunity to A/B the Aggie 412 cab with my pair of JBL 15"s driven by a tube SVT. My observations were that the ouput, apparent volume, and bottom were remarkably similar. The aggie cab had more top obviously, but I was very impressed with the twelve's ability to deliver the beef - even with a 5 string EUB. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try out a Schroeder locally yet.
  7. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    You may for a couple hundred more, want to look at a 21012 and a 1210....same config as a 310212 in total, but gives you the flexibility to use either or both. I don't remember the wattage/ohmage of the Ampeg you have. Can it run 2 ohms or stereo 4 ohms per channel or is it 4 ohms minimum load?

The other "thing" is that the Schroeder will have I feel more in your face punch that if you like the sounds of 10's being up front vs 12's, you may feel more comfortable and familiar with the Schroeder tone than with the Aguilar. My experience with Aggies has been limited to running 2 112's. They do not punch out or are anywhere near the "perceived" volume of either my 1210 or 410 Schroeder. The Aggie is what I would call "polite" sounding and as one poster said something like 4 12's sound as loud as 2 15's? My 410 Schroeder is louder than almost any 215 ever built!!!! and is close to if not equal to most 610's and 810's with non vented cabinets.

Keeping that in mind, the 310212 is rated even higher efficiency and volume than the 410 with 54 inches of speakers in one cabinet and a response down to how many hz? I think it just comes down to whether you want the Schroeder "sound" for any venue size with a flexible, more portable modular system (even a 1212 and a 1210, not a 21012 and 1210), or would rather do the one cabinet solution of a 310212. You can't go wrong in either case.

8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a rules. I can now do away with the 8x10" I used to lug around. it's clear and defined and can handle the low B easily.
  9. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    I have a Aggie 4x12, it's good. But I miss the punch of 10s. The 12s do put out a more dispersed sound. So maybe a 4x10 and a 2x12 cab may be a good set up for the best of both.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    One of the cool things about the Schroeder cabinet design is that it projects near like 10" drivers and projects far like 15" drivers.
  11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Been gone all week so I finally got a chance to get back to this thread now. Thanks for the replies, it sounds like the Schroeder will fit the bill quite nicely for me.

My Ampeg will run at 2 ohms stereo or at 4 ohms bridged mono, so I can be pretty flexible with cabinet configurations if I need to be. I will check a little more into your suggestion of running two Schroeders, it would definitely be a possibility. I am still in the researching stage here, so I am not totally set on any one thing for sure as of yet.

Again, thanks for the replies. :)
  12. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Price-wise, I think I am going to stick with the big cab. Buying two smaller cabs seems like a pretty good option, but it pushes me a bit over my limit I set for myself to spend on a cabinet.

So, now I just have to make up my mind for sure and send Brian some money. :)
  13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Not meaning to jack the thread here, but how do the Bergie 610, 425, and 215 compare to these? I have been debateing over the Bergs and the cabs listed for a while and never got to turn up a lot. I am going to rum em with a Mesa 400+ or an Aggie 728 with some odd preamp which I will decide on sometime :p