Aggie GS412 vs. 2 GS212s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lockout, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I like the idea of having two separate cabs so that I wouldn't always need to lug a single huge cabinet around every time I want to play somewhere. The GS212s together would be more efficient than the 412 too, correct?

However, the 2 212's would be more expensive than the 412, so I'm not sure which to go with. Is there anything significant I'm not taking into account here? What would you do?

Also, I have one other question about Aguilar's cabinet specs. The GS212 specs say "Frequency Response: 41Hz to 16kHz" this flat, -3db, or what?
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Well, here's my take:

412 Pros:
    Deeper lows (37hz-16khz)
    Higher power handling capacity (1200 watts)
    Price ($1399 retail)

Two 212 Pros:
    Lighter weight, easier to handle
    Flexibility, bring just one for small/medium gig

412 Cons:
    Weight & handling issues (this thing is a small fridge)
    Stuck with a huge cab for small gigs, or you gotta buy a second small gig
    High shipping cost, if you have to order from non-local dealer

Two 212 Cons:
    Slightly less lows
    Slightly higher cost ($899 retail, offset somewhat by shipping cost of 412)

Both are killer setups, but I'd lean towards the two 212 cabs for various reasons myself. I don't think the extra 4hz of low frequency response is worth the aggrivation myself.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Both setups should handle the low b string fine right?
  4. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    the GS412 handles the B string more than well.

the 412 is around $999 (mine was $979, but has them for $999 + shipping... they quoted me $80 shipping.. not too terrible!). the 412 doesn't weigh as much as you'd think. it weighs 115 lbs. i can lift it myself and bring it where it needs to go, but i get help from friends when i have to go up a bunch of stairs or something. the ampeg svt8x10 weighs 160+ lbs, just for comparison. i really rocked with this thing last night, and it handled everything. i had my mesa 400+'s master at 7, and the preamp around 6... just so you know how loud i was playing it. it didn't crack up once. it's amazing. the 212s are great cabs, don't get me wrong, but i am in love with my 412.
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Yeah, I know it's not all that heavy compared to Ampeg's cabs, but the problem is that to get to where we're practicing at now, I've got to go down a long set of stairs, and I don't want to have to have help every time... I'd rather just make a couple trips.

That's why I'm starting to lean towards the 212s.
  6. How about 4 GS112s? That would be sweet! Seriously! :bassist:
  7. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    lol. :)

That's a bit too expensive though, and it'd be the opposite problem, too many trips up and down the stairs! I'd be outta breath before even starting :D
  8. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

The reason I've been posting so many possible rigs lately is because I need a nice sounding rig that will last me a pretty long time. I don't have the money for a new rig every few years, since I'm still pretty young and I'll be working half the summer just to save up for this. :)

So I'm thinking I'd power the 2x12s with a QSC RMX2450 in stereo...Good idea or no?