1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aggie GS412 vs. 2 GS212s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lockout, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each?

I like the idea of having two separate cabs so that I wouldn't always need to lug a single huge cabinet around every time I want to play somewhere. The GS212s together would be more efficient than the 412 too, correct?

However, the 2 212's would be more expensive than the 412, so I'm not sure which to go with. Is there anything significant I'm not taking into account here? What would you do?

Also, I have one other question about Aguilar's cabinet specs. The GS212 specs say "Frequency Response: 41Hz to 16kHz" ...is this flat, -3db, or what?

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :meh:

...hmm...

Well, here's my take:

412 Pros:
    Deeper lows (37hz-16khz)
    Higher power handling capacity (1200 watts)
    Price ($1399 retail)

Two 212 Pros:
    Lighter weight, easier to handle
    Flexibility, bring just one for small/medium gig

412 Cons:
    Weight & handling issues (this thing is a small fridge)
    Stuck with a huge cab for small gigs, or you gotta buy a second small gig
    High shipping cost, if you have to order from non-local dealer

Two 212 Cons:
    Slightly less lows
    Slightly higher cost ($899 retail, offset somewhat by shipping cost of 412)

Both are killer setups, but I'd lean towards the two 212 cabs for various reasons myself. I don't think the extra 4hz of low frequency response is worth the aggrivation myself.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Both setups should handle the low b string fine right?

4. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    the GS412 handles the B string more than well.

the 412 is around $999 (mine was $979, but basspalace.com has them for $999 + shipping... they quoted me $80 shipping.. not too terrible!). the 412 doesn't weigh as much as you'd think. it weighs 115 lbs. i can lift it myself and bring it where it needs to go, but i get help from friends when i have to go up a bunch of stairs or something. the ampeg svt8x10 weighs 160+ lbs, just for comparison. i really rocked with this thing last night, and it handled everything. i had my mesa 400+'s master at 7, and the preamp around 6... just so you know how loud i was playing it. it didn't crack up once. it's amazing. the 212s are great cabs, don't get me wrong, but i am in love with my 412.

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Yeah, I know it's not all that heavy compared to Ampeg's cabs, but the problem is that to get to where we're practicing at now, I've got to go down a long set of stairs, and I don't want to have to have help every time... I'd rather just make a couple trips.

That's why I'm starting to lean towards the 212s.

6. How about 4 GS112s? That would be sweet! Seriously! :bassist:

7. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    lol. :)

That's a bit too expensive though, and it'd be the opposite problem, too many trips up and down the stairs! I'd be outta breath before even starting :D

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

The reason I've been posting so many possible rigs lately is because I need a nice sounding rig that will last me a pretty long time. I don't have the money for a new rig every few years, since I'm still pretty young and I'll be working half the summer just to save up for this. :)

So I'm thinking I'd power the 2x12s with a QSC RMX2450 in stereo...Good idea or no?