Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie GS412 vs Aggie S810 vs Bergie NV610 vs Bergie NV425

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rayzak, Sep 21, 2005.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm looking for a bigger cab than my Aggie GS212 to run with my AG500. I'm in the process of saving my pennies and hope to have one of these within the next month or so.

I don't care about portability, weight, size, etc.
    I'm not much of a slapper, so I usually turn the tweeter off or on ever so slightly. I play mainly blues, classic rock, modern rock, reggae, and try to funk out(without much success :eyebrow: ). I've been jammin' with some buddies who will need a new bass player in their band soon(other guy's moving out of state), and it looks like i'm the guy. They play everything from Billy Joel, BB King, ZZ top to Green Day, Sublime, Nirvana, and Primus... as well as some originals.

I really like my GS212, but these guys crank it up waaay too loud on stage and i'm afraid I'll have some trouble being heard. Also, i'd like to use my 212 for smaller rooms and practice while using the bigger cab for most gigs.
    The guitarist uses a Peavey 5150 into a Marshal 412 as well as a Roland Jazz Chorus for clean sounds. The drummer is a hyper little muscle bound dude who just beats the snot out of his drums.

Wow, this is getting long-winded... sorry. I love the sound of my 212 which makes me think maybe the 412 would be right up my alley. I haven't heard much about the S810, but from what I have heard, it cuts through beautifully. I'm very intrigued by the NV610 and 425. I've only heard amazing things from everyone about these cabs(although a lot more about the 610). My concern about 10's is losing the low end that the Aggie 212 gives me. That's why i'm very interested in the 425. Maybe it'd give me the best of both worlds.

If anyone's used any of these cabs, please give me your thoughts. I know, for instance, the Aggie 412 and the Bergie 610 are very different cabs, but i'm sure they'd all work fine... i'm just wanting this to last for a very long time without any regrets. The current bass player uses a Hartke 5500 thru an XL810. Thanks for reading through this and your thoughts, perspectives, experiences, and emotional outbursts if need be.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I cant say enough good about the NV610. It doesn't have the rumbling lows the Aggie 212 has, but that is a good thing in my book. Those lows just tend to muddy up the sound on stage, especially at the volumes you are talking about. The NV610 cuts through and punches you in the gut. I'd highly recommend that or the NV425.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    By looking at your wanted list, and your sound description, we got very similar taste:

[​IMG]

Back on topic.

The NV425 has plenty of bottom end and punch. It's sealed and has no tweeter but it's very loud. It doesn't have the high's on the NV215 because it doens't have the 6'' driver but it has plenty of top for my taste.

I drive it with a tfunk which has about the same power as your amp and it's as loud as I'll ever need to be.

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Both great replies guys, thanks. I am leaning toward the Bergs... have been. Now, the only answer is... which one?

Awesome rig, anyonefortennis. Looks absolutely delicious.

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Well, I'm selling my Epifani 2x12 and going to a NV610. Killer sound and it doesn't seem to have any problems with the low B! I'll probably have to wait until next week to pick it up - too much going on right now at work. Should be an interesting rig - Glockenklang HeartCore into the NV 610. Now, back to practice!

Dan K.

6. I used to own a GS412 and downsized to a pair of GS212's. If you like the sound of the Aggies the 412 will fit the bill. IMO it is better sounding than a pair of GS212's. It is a monster and very efficient, LOUD and LOW.

I now play through an NV610 and love it. I A/B'd it against an NV425 and chose it over the 425 because it sounded more focused to me and punched better. Although the 425 sounded lower and would also be a good choice, my preference nowadays is to hear more of the mid punch that cuts through as opposed to the undefined low end rumble that can sometimes cause problems as Cheezewhiz stated.

And BTW, the NV610 goes plenty low enough for me, coming from a 15 & 12 inch guy. The best thing is how well you are able to hear yourself in the mix and you don't have to compete with the drummer for the low end. (I have experienced the same as you have with loud drummers).

If you give the 610 enough power you will be amazed at the sound, it is a great choice.

7. Well between Aguilar and Bergantino, they are both very high quality companies. It basically comes down to which sound you like better. The Aguilars tend to be deeper while the Bergs are more punchy. It all depends on the sound you're looking for. Personally, I love the Aguilar sound and I would definately take another GS series cab.

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    How does your jazz bass sound through it? I know your P-bass strung with flats ought to sound huge(which I own as well), but i'm a little concerned that a jazz-style bass with round-wounds may sound a bit lean.

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    A jazz style bass doesn't sound lean at all through a NV610. I'm currently using a Lakland Darryl Jones as my main gigging bass (splitting time with a Ric 4003), and it's tight and punchy. There is no lack of booty at all.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    NV425!!!!!!

I know I havent made a thread or talked about it online BUT

I've had one for 3 weeks ( thanks Cory/Justin!)

It Rules with a Fist!!!!

Don't think, Buy, don't look back. Thank Me Later

Aj

11. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Decisions, decisions... you guys are killin' me. Every time i'm about to settle on the 610, someone shoots me back down to square one.

Anybody ever tried the Aggie S810 yet? I'd like a bit more info about that as well.

Right now, the 610's in the lead... followed closely by the 425 which is a nose ahead of the 412.

I e-mailed Jim, and this is what he had to say. Hence, my question about a jazz sounding "lean".

The cabinets are similar in the mids in mid-highs. Where they differ, as you eluded to in your email, is in the low end. The NV425 will get you "underneath" the band where as the NV610 will help you cut through the band better. That's not to say the NV425 won't cut, it will, but the NV610 with its more aggressive mid punch and attack will get you heard through loud drummers and guitarist better. The other thing to realize is all your gear upstream of the cab. The amp, the bass, and even the strings will make a huge difference in the resulting tone. For instance, the 610 may seem too lean for someone playing a Jazz bass with round-wounds, but with a Pbass and flat wounds it will yield a nice buttery tone that cuts like a knife! The 425 on the other hand has a nice, vintage, balanced tone from top to bottom, with a fuller bass as you might expect from the 15" driver. It really comes down to the type of sound you're going for. Also, the NV610 will play louder with your AG500 if volume is a big concern for you. Either way, I'm sure you will be quite pleased with the end result.

Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Jim Bergantino

I emailed him around midnight last night and he got back with me before 8am. How's that for service?

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Before you decide, go here ---> Click Me!

13. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Oh yes, i've read that quite a few times already.
    After I play through my 212, I think that i'd be a fool for not going the 412 route. But i've heard so many great things about the Berg's and I plan on keeping my 212's as well so my thinking is that it'd be kind of nice having 2 very different options. Make sense or no?

14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Mr Bergs comments are spot on(no suprise)

425 sounds like a 610 with a fluffier bottom.

Aj

15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Bergantino NV215 kicks all there asses.

gigged with it for the first time last Saturday afternoon and then later in a club. Finally I have the Deep Fat "feel the bass" tone I've been looking for. But still retains note clarity and definition that I want.

A friend of the band who used to run sound for Rush was at the gig and he said he'd never heard bass sound so good. Says it all. This cab is a pants flappin' good time. Too bad Jim discontinued them

16. Insanely loud, cutting through and want to keep the low end makes me think of one of the big Schroeders, like a 21012 for instance. Just thought I would add some fuel to the fire.

17. My Jazz has a Lane Poor preamp and pickups so that would not be a fair comparison, but I would think a stock American made jazz would sound full enough. Both my basses kill through this cab and I usually roll off the bass on the low end.

As a side note, my P bass used to have a plywood body and it sounded like a POS. I switched to a solid alder body and it is like a different bass! It is a real keeper, which goes to prove what Jim B. said about the importance of upstream components.

Bottom line: the 610 will make you be heard in the band, the 425 is fuller which carries with it the potential of getting muddier, and the 412 is a monster! It is the biggest sounding cab. I however, go for the sealed cabinet sound at loud sound levels. I know the decision is a hard one, but any of the cabs mentioned will be a good choice. If you are holding onto the 212, I would opt for the 610.

18. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I vote for the NV610, just because I have one. Seriously good cabinet. Also, you can slap on this cab no problem.

No one has talked about portability of these cabs. The Berg NV610 is extremely portable for a 610. It weighs 95lbs and has kickback casters on the rear. It is very compact in height, width and especially depth.

The Aggie 412 got a great review in Bass Player Magazine a little while ago.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

I have played the Aggie 4x12 and all three of the Berg NV series cabs. For me, the NV215 was my favorite. I like the clarity in the upper mids, combined with an unscooped (and unboosted) midrange and seismic lows. But, I can definitely see where someone else might prefer the 610 or 425, depending on your preferences. The GS412, however, was indeed one of my favorite sounding Aguilar cabs. But at the end of the day, the NV215 is one of my favorite cabs, ever. Period.

Tom.

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    + +1...

I hope Jim B is reading this in regards to the 215...

~S~