Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aggie OB3 + ....?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alansan, Jul 15, 2004.

1. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'd like to take advantage of the huge expertise that's available on these forums. I'm hoping for a bit of pick-up advice here.

I'm nearing the end of the waiting period for a five-string fretless (ash and ebony). I had speced Aero pick-ups (mm and j) with an OB3. The body work is done apart from the pu routing.

The UK Luthier I am commissioning is having problems getting any stock from Aero (I think they may be moving premises). This has extended my waiting period by many weeks. I've heard this story before with regards to Bartolini, where you may have to buy in bulk before they give you any kind of reliable service.

So, as you may have guessed I can't wait any longer. Does anyone have any suggestions for substitute pick-ups in the same league? I'm not a fan of the bart sound. I was also considering a lightwave system paired with a piezo bridge pu. Anyone any comments on that combo?

This is only my second custom bass and I don't have alot of experience with different pick-ups, so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks ;)

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    When you say the bart sound, I know what you mean. But Bartolini do offer many different windings - brighter, deeper etc. So you could consider that.

Apart from that, Seymour Duncan springs to mind. They do MM replacements and J pups.

Since you're in the UK, aren't Kent Armstrongs easier to get over there? I've never tried them, so I can't comment on their sound but I've heard good things.

3. i played some conklin pickups that were custom wound by kent armstrong. seriously incredible sound. i would consider putting kent armstrong or bill lawrence pickups in a custom bass using that experience as my guide.

robb.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nordstrand and Sadowsky pickups are possibilities.

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    True, but I was suggesting makes I thought would be readily available in the UK

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Psh. A load of hooey! In that case, I will put in another vote for SD. I use duncans in my fretted, great pickups.

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have lakland 5 that I'm thinking of getting the Duncans and putting one of these in it!

Aj

8. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    yeah, I thought about Duncans. I have a four string fretted with these in and to me they are more suited to a hi-fi fretted sound i.e. very compressed and even.

Hadn't heard of the Kent Armstrongs. There's seems to be a lot of good reviews circulating about them.

I would love to try Sadowsky. I wonder how easy and how long it would take for a builder to get a hold of just one pair of these without buying in bulk...

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, like Bartolini, SD make a bunch of differently wound J pickups - single coils, hot singles, stacks, hot stacks etc.

Also SD make the Steve Bailey fretless system - matched pickups and preamp. More info at basslines.com

Note, I don't work for SD :)