1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Aggie OBP-1 or Sadowsky onboard

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zachbass02, Nov 22, 2006.

1. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Just how close are these two sound wise? Is the aggie as transparent as the sadowsky? Both are bass & treb boost only. Do they both encompass the same frequency ranges? I've noticed that Nino Valenti has used these on several of his basses. Any input as to the sound, differences, etc.. is appreciated.

Also, can the OBP-1 be setup as a 9v system or will it only work as an 18v system?

I'm not looking to the OBP-3 because I don't really want the mids. I may look to the OBP-2 since it's a boost/cut, but IIRC from another discussion about the OBP-1, the treb frequency center is @ 4khz as opposed to 6khz of the OBP-2. Thanks in advance.

Z-

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    IME with both, the Sadowsky's boost is cleaner and clearer. When you boost the bass, it's clear and the treble is crisp.

The Aggie, in comparison to the Sad can get boomier on the bass and harsher on the treble.

This opinion is when you do drastic boosting. IMO/IME, with either preamp, a little will go a LONG way.

IIRC, the OBP-1 can only run on 18V. You may want to contact Aguilar, though.

Both preamps are excellent.

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

They have identical frequency ranges and to my knowledge were designed by the same person.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    FWIW, I love my Aguialr db924 outboard pre, and Nino is spot on, a little goes a long way. I love it with my j basses...

5. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    I was running the OBP-3 on my Warmoth Gecko bass, will SD Basslines PUP's.....the sound was very aggressive, possibly a bit to harsh if you got carried away with the high end, and as previously noted, it could get rumbly on the lows........that being said, I still think it's a good pre, just not what I was looking for on that bass and setup. Ultimately, I switched it out in favor of the Seymour Duncan 3 band preamp, and am pleased with the sound.

I just received my first Sadowsky yesterday, an Olympic White RV5 w/VTC. I haven't got to log enough hours on it yet, and won't get to gig with it until Saturday night, but man, I'm in love! Definately a smoother and more controlled sound!

By the way, many thanks to Pickles for a great transaction on my first Sadowsky!